Chapter Twenty-Three

*y/n's POV*

You woke to the sunlight streaming onto your face. Your latest one-night stand was sitting on his phone next to you. You got up and threw on your dressing robe.

"you need to leave" you groaned at the pounding in your head.

"why? I was thinking we could repeat last night if you'd like" he said in a seductive manner, and as tempting as the offer was you had a meeting today.

"sorry I would, but my husband will be home any minute" you said. It was a blatant lie but you just wanted him out.

His eyes widened and he quickly threw his clothes on and you showed him out, passing Ben on the couches.

"and they never saw him again" you laughed to Ben, completely forgetting you weren't really on speaking terms.

"y/n, I know you're drinking again" he said, sternly.

You groaned at him. "come on Ben, I'm just having some fun" you said, squeezing his face in your hands, but he removed your hands rather forcefully. You could tell he was angry.

"no you're having a relapse y/n" he said, frustrated.

"why are you such a stick in the mud? You used to do this all the time" you argued.

"yes and I remember that being a very low point in my life" he responded.

You rolled your eyes. "whatever, I've got a meeting today so I'll be out for a while" you said.

"and you're going in that state?" he asked.

"yes I am" you shouted back, slamming the door.

You changed into your work clothes and left the apartment, not speaking another word to Ben. You may have been going through something, but you were never late to anything and if you were to keep up the charade that you were okay, you had to keep being early for everything. You lazily walked into the meeting not ready to sacrifice the next two hours of your life for this. You were pretty much sober at this point and it was killing you.

When the meeting finished, you went home to crash after the tedious meeting, but you were greeted by a familiar face on the way in.

"y/n" Megan said.

"hi Megan" you said with a confused tone. "what are you doing here?" You asked.

Ben didn't have her number and you hadn't texted her.

"I just thought I'd pop in to see how you were doing. I hadn't heard from you for quite a while and I'm following up on a story down here" she said, with a sudden worried look.

"oh yeah, I've just been busy with work and stuff" you lied. You knew that you looked terrible and you hoped she couldn't notice.

"I saw you at the Oscars, you looked amazing" she added.

"thanks" you responded. "um...how did you get in?" you asked.

"oh Ben let me in" she said and you nodded, a brief silence followed. "he's not here anymore, he's just picking up some stuff for his trip to LA" she added.