Chapter Twenty-Five

You had accidentally fallen asleep but 20 minutes later woke up to to a call from Lucy.

"hey" you said sleepily.

"oh my god I'm so sorry – did I wake you?" she asked quietly.

"yeah, but it's okay it's only like 8:00am" you laughed.

"yeah its like midnight here" she laughed back, still trying not to make any noise. You could hear a lot of noise in the background too making it impossible to hear her.

"why are you being so quiet?" you asked.

"Ben and Amy got into a big argument last night. They broke up" she started. You had to admit you weren't disappointed they broke up. You just hoped she hadn't hurt Ben in any way.

"oh, why's that?" you asked.

"I'm not sure, they just had a massive fight in front of everyone and they ended things. All I know is that Ben is going home early and we didn't want him to go himself, so we're coming back too" she said.

"when are you coming back?" you asked.

"right now – our flight boards in like thirty minutes so I don't have much time. But listen y/n, I didn't just call you to tell you that we're coming home early. You need to meet us at the airport, as a surprise for Ben" she said, even quieter and you strained to hear her.

"I don't know...Ben and I are still on slightly awkward terms. Plus I think I'm the last person Ben will want to see after his break up" you stated.

"trust me he wants to see you" she giggled.

"what does that mean?" you asked, suspiciously.

"oh you're such an idiot sometimes y/n. How can you not see that Ben is head-over-heels in love with you" she exclaimed in a quiet manner.

Your heart fluttered. You supposed you never noticed because you had also assumed he wouldn't want to risk your friendship, but you also supposed you were being stupid not to have noticed.

"he does?" you asked, a big smile appearing on your face.

"of course he does – according to Joe he admitted it to him months ago, but this could be the right time. What's stopping you? You're both finally single, I mean you live together! The universe has trying to bring you guys together for years and you didn't even realise" she laughed.

You couldn't believe what you were hearing, you actually considered that you were still in a dream, because that is what this was – a dream. After months of pining over Ben, you might finally get to be with him.

"yeah you're right, there's nothing stopping me. Go get your flight Lucy!" you exclaimed, and after agreeing on where to meet in the airport, you started getting ready to see Ben.

You had twelve hours and you spent them very wisely making sure everything was perfect – your outfit, your hair, your makeup and even the way you smelled.

You even went out and bought him his favourite cake from his favourite bakery.

You got in your car, placing the cake carefully on the seat next to you, before starting up your car and heading to the airport. Your heart thumped in your chest in anticipation and you couldn't stop smiling.

You were driving up a busy road, and you could see the airport now. However, when you looked back on the road, the driver in front hit a car that had turned in front of it.

In shock, you yanked the steering wheel to the right to go around them, the back of your car skimming the other driver and your cake fell onto the floor. In a panicked attempt to stop the cake falling from the seat you took your eyes off the road for what must've been two seconds before you heard a car horn beeping and an explosion.