Chapter 8) Preparations

August 29, a year since the armistice signing between the Land of Fire and the Land of Earth, the Hokage called Akari to his office.

"Akari, thank you for coming."

"Of course. What's up Lord 3rd?" She asked, curious and casual as there were no other Anbu around. At that same moment the door opened and three figures entered. Two were elderly strangers but the third she knew - Danzo. The Hokage merely nodded as they entered.

"This is the Hokage's council." He said in way of explanation but then continued on. She nodded in recognition - she'd heard her father speak of them before though he never had good things to say when they were involved.  "I've just received a letter from the Land of Water. They have decided to follow the Land of Earth's example in improving relations between our lands."

"That's wonderful." Those bastards. She still hadn't forgiven them for what they'd done to Rin.

"Yes.. there is, however, a catch." At these words Akari felt nervous. More than a little nervous. Why is Danzo here? "They are willing to accept terms of peace if we send them a superb shinobi as assurance. A sort of peace offering."

Nooo.... She thought she knew where this was going.

"And they have a particular shinobi in mind?"

The hokage bowed his head and she looked away towards the window. If I go then I'll miss a lot. I won't be here for my friends, I'll miss Naruto's first birthday as well as his growing up, and I'll be all alone.. But a lot of lives could be saved. I might save my friends and brother by going...They'd never have to fight Mist shinobi....I always wanted to be the Hokage but this means I wouldn't be able to - it's the sort of sacrifice a Hokage makes though. For the good of the village right? But even still, the Blood Mist village.... What am I thinking? They're asking nicely but I know that I don't actually have a say in the matter.

"I understand that my role as a Leaf shinobi is to do what is best for this village." He looks sad. Glancing at the other three it was clear that they were pleased. No way he'd be doing this if it wasn't for them.

"I'm sorry Akari. They were very specific about having the Fourth Hokage's child.."

"None of the other lands know about Naruto though, right? He's still safe?"

"Yes."

"When do I leave?"

"They'll be here to pick you up in three days."

"And Naruto?"

"My wife and I will take care of him until he's able to live on his own."

"Thank you." With one final glance at Danzo she added: "I won't be a Leaf shinobi anymore but Naruto will still be my brother. If anything happens to him I won't hesitate to retaliate." Danzo's eyes narrowed and the Hokage coughed uncomfortably while the old ones regarded her as one might a problem.

In a daze she walked back to her apartment where Anko was momentarily babysitting for her (they'd had a sleepover the previous night and were hopefully having another one tonight.) Upon arriving Anko went off to let her parents know she'd be out again which gave Akari a chance to look around her house. Picking up her brother and walking around she stared at the pictures. Her parents and grandparents, going trick or treating as a child, and plenty of other family photos.