Chapter 41) Leaf in the Rain

"Ma'am, my apologies." A chunin bowed as Akari waited for him to continue. It was the afternoon. She'd been busy all day and there was no sign of that changing. Currently she was teaching at the school; thanks to the flu three teachers were ill, making her assistance necessary. "The Leaf shinobi will be here shortly."

FUCK. Akari wanted to scream the word but refrained in the presence of the children. "They're early." Came calmly out of her mouth instead. They were indeed two days early and Akari was not prepared. She'd have no available time for a few days still. "Please treat them as the others have been. They may visit their comrades in the hospital as long as they remain with their escorts."

"Yes ma'am." He was off and Akari wearily returned to teaching a lesson on chakra while wishing she could just fall asleep instead.

~~~

In front of the five stretched a large lake. The man in front turned and walked towards a bridge, the other four following.

"So, why can't we just walk across the lake?" Naruto asked, confused.

"Naruto, don't be an idiot." Sakura cut in.

"There's bound to be traps in the water. The Rain knows how to keep people out. It's such a drag." Shikamaru added.

Kakashi had to grab the back of Lee's vest to keep him from sprinting towards the bridge. "We must hurry! Guy-Sensei is here! He may require our assistance!"

"Calm down Lee, I'm sure he's fine."

Lee fell in behind Kakashi once more, although he was unable to keep from bouncing from foot to foot. Arriving at the middle of the bridge Kakashi noted that there were many more ninja here than strictly necessary - 12 in all.

"Hello." He said calmly. "We've come to check on the Leaf Shinobi."

"Yes, we've been expecting you." One of the shinobi behind the desk answered. "Fumi will show you to where you are staying." He gestured to a woman with long black hair and bright blue eyes. "Each of you have been assigned two escorts while in the village - it is required that they stay with you at all times. Is this understood?" His tone was threatening but Kakashi chose to ignore it.

"Yes of course, that's not a problem at all." Behind Kakashi Shikamaru elbowed Naruto as he opened his mouth and Sakura shook her head at Lee. Fortunately the two understood and the group of five followed the black haired girl. The other nine of their guard walked on the outside of the group. The village looked dull through the misting rain, droplets sliding down the grey buildings. As they walked through they saw a few villagers out and about but they shied away from the group, averting their eyes. A noise above had Kakashi's senses focusing. Children and young teenagers. Four of them. Jumping through the upper levels of the buildings. 

 Glancing back he saw Naruto and Lee looking up as a figure jumped across a roof. Unlike the Leaf the buildings here were very tall. A sharp intake of breath from above and this time Kakashi did look up. One of them had slipped and was falling. Just as he was about to shoot a wind style jutsu to push the child back onto the building the misting rain all stopped in midair and formed together under the child, catching him. All of them were watching now, curious. A ninja materialized from a large puddle off to their left, becoming human. He had dark brown hair and dark green eyes, a bit of dark stubble on his face. From the top of the building three faces peeked over.

"Come here. Now." He commanded sharply. The three ran down the walls to the man, the rain mass bringing the other one. All the Leaf shinobi were watching curiously but their guards looked annoyed. "Sorry about this Fumi."