Chapter 14) Demons

Land of Wood, huh?  Well, can't say that isn't accurate.  Lumber lined the port, ready to be shipped all over the world.  Pulling into port Akari waved goodbye to the crew who she'd barely met and walked away without a second glance.  Following the path from the shipyard Akari looked around the woods surrounding her.  The leaves were just beginning to change colors in the mid September weather and at first Akari didn't notice anything off, but once it was noticed it was hard to ignore.  It's weird, the woods here are just so.. Quiet.  Much too quiet.  Where are all the animals? The walk took about forty minutes before she arrived at a city.  The gate read Shinion.  Shinion huh?  I've heard of this place.  It's a ninja city.  On the intake form she recorded her name as Anko Lee, borrowing the first name from her old friend and picking a generic last name.  Nothing to link me to me, just in case they're searching.  I'll just stay a day to stock up on supplies and then I'll be on my way to the Land of Demons.  Now, where's the hotel..? 

Children jumped across rooftops as she walked through the streets, casting shadows on the road and all those walking below

Children jumped across rooftops as she walked through the streets, casting shadows on the road and all those walking below. Was I ever so carefree?  She wondered, listening to the happy laughter.  For a brief second she watched herself playing with her friends, laughing and happy.  Yes.. sometimes I was.  Never for long though, and not anymore.  I'm going to destroy everything and that doesn't exclude my former comrades.  If they're part of the problem they'll be dealt with in the same way. Arriving at an inn she stopped and entered, getting a room for a night.  Immediately after setting her bag down she went back into the town.  Dumplings here weren't as good as back home but they were passable.  She stocked up on necessary supplies.  Toiletries, new clothes, random stuff.  The last stop of the night was a second hand bookstore.  As Akari breathed in she smiled, loving the smell of old books.  She perused the shelves, grabbing a couple of adventure novels and then returning to her room.  The bed was comfortable if a little too soft and Akari fell asleep quickly. 

After a hot shower in the morning Akari looked into her pack.  She frowned at the many scrolls at the bottom of her bag.  She'd had to buy so many supplies, not being able to open the scrolls without chakra.  It was lucky that she'd left a sizable amount of money in her froggy money bag instead of in a scroll.  The sun had barely risen when she left the gate  heading northeast.  As she walked she hummed or sang as the mood caught her, the temperature becoming steadily colder the further she went.  By nightfall she was kicking herself for not buying warmer clothing as she huddled in a ball under a tree, a kunai in her hand.  The next few days were more of the same.  She wasn't sure when she'd arrived in the Land of Demons but she was definitely there.  The trees were much larger, the temperature had dropped considerably and the animals had reappeared in the forest.  Many of them were larger than was normal.  She smiled at the chatter of squirrels and the chirping of birds. 

The trees ended to reveal a vast expanse of snow.  Not knowing what else to do, not even really knowing what she was looking for, Akari continued without noticing another being nearby.  One minute she was alone and the next a wolf was alongside her.