Chapter 17) Consistency?

Age: 19.5

For the next two years life remained constant. Missions, hanging out with other members, and changing the world little by little in her spare time by way of death and destruction. Orochimaru, who'd been a member for years but who almost never showed up at the hideout officially left the organization. Out of everyone he was who she'd gotten along worst with and she wasn't sad to see him go. Akari was pissed at him - he'd tried to steal Itachi's eyes and take over his body. She couldn't say she was surprised by this; he'd always been a creep. She was just glad that Itachi had won. Why he didn't kill the bastard was unfathomable to her.

Juzo's death came as a shock. Pain contacted them through their rings, all of them appearing as holograms as they were on their own missions. Killed by Yagura, but Itachi survived. Dammit Yagura. As soon as she released the jutsu Akari's mind raced back to that night Juzo had saved her. 'If you have the chance, kill the bastard. I need to be going.' He'd stood. 'I've accepted a job with a group called the Akatsuki. If you're ever looking for a place to belong, you should try there.' She thought too of the many times they'd all watched television together, she'd rejected his lame attempts to hit on her (or Sasori and Kakuzu used threads or tentacles to keep Juzo's hands off of her). The other times were great too; when they'd played poker and the frequented hot spring trips, when they sparred or especially when they'd played pranks on the other members. I'll do it Juzo, I swear. I'll kill the bastard.

The Land of Snow; it was nice at first, but it's getting old

The Land of Snow; it was nice at first, but it's getting old. Akari mused as she breathed in the fresh air. As the freezing air hit her lungs they tightened, making her gasp. I should be used to it by now. Ugh. But it's even colder than the wolves' Oinosu. Breathing out she watched the visible breath in the sky. It'd been three weeks. She'd been staying in a small village posing as a traveling pastry chef while gathering intel and tracking a shinobi with a large bounty on his head. (Desserts were the only food she excelled at making and it gave her an opportunity to indulge and learn about this land's sweets.) After all, gathering funds and intel was her primary mission at the moment but if she didn't come back with some awesome new dessert recipes for the others they'd be pissed.  Just because it was a small nation didn't mean that it could be overlooked.

Currently she was in the middle of nowhere, the body set temporarily in the snow. He was heavy and she wasn't in a rush - the cold would keep it from smelling too badly for a few days still. He'd been from the Hidden Waterfall working on his own mission but she'd made sure that he'd never make it back. It's not that much farther to the nearest collection office in the Land of Ice. Suck it up Akari and do your job. With an annoyed grunt she concentrated chakra where needed and heaved the man who was much larger and heavier than herself onto her back, continuing on.

An igloo... how fitting. Akari sarcastically mused as she pounded on the ice door. "I've brought Land of Waterfall number seven." After a moment the door slid open and she trudged in, snow falling from her boots onto the dirt. The interior was much more roomy and warm than expected and she dropped the body onto the central table.