Chapter 29) The Oldest of Friends: (Oc x Obito/Tobi Lemon)

Akari's mission was twofold. The first part was more of the usual - build up funds. For this portion of the mission she'd been allotted a month, in which time she brought in six bounties. Four were insignificant while one payed slightly higher. The last was a member of Danzo's faction of Anbu and brought quite a bit of cash. She didn't recognize the girl but took her Anbu clothing with after depositing her - her prior stolen Anbu equipment was quite old and needed to be replaced.

Now Akari found herself on a mountaintop waiting for him to arrive. Two days she waited on the snowy peak before he showed up. The green plantlike thing around his head came up first from the ground followed by his body.

"Took you long enough." Akari glared at him.

"I'm really very sorry." The white half of him apologized.

"Fuck off bitch." The black half added.

She was to guard Zetsu and provide any assistance that he might need. Usually Tobi accompanied him but for whatever reason this wasn't the case currently. Zetsu was seeking plants. Particular plants that only grew on certain mountaintops beneath ice and snow. The work was long and tedious. Akari melted the snow and ice just enough to find the plants but not enough to burn them. They continued all day. When night came and the visibility became practically zero Akari summoned a few wolves to keep her warm while she slept. Not that she really needed the extra warmth; they'd also guarantee that Zetzu didn't try to take a bite out of her while asleep. The plantman seemed to understand this and sulked a slight distance away.

Come sunrise they were at it again, and again all day was spent doing this. As the sky became marginally darker Akari built a fire on a bit of land that stuck out on the far side of the mountain. No prying eyes would see it here. Zetzu sat across the fire from her as she cooked some easy food over the flames.

"So Zetsu, where's Tobi at? Doesn't he usually travel with you?"

"Tobi had other things he had to do." She couldn't tell which half of him spoke, though she thought it was most likely the light side.

"Why? Did Akari-chan miss Tobi?!" A happy childish voice rang out from behind her. She whipped around as she was barreled into by the mass, knocking her backwards towards the flames. Tobi grabbed her and pulled her off course. "Tobi saved you!" He yelled happily.

"Dammit Tobi!!" She yelled, highly annoyed at his sudden arrival and thoughtless actions. The skewers and food were lost to the flames. "What do you think you were doing?! You almost burned me!" With a cry of delight he ran from her and she gave chase through the snow. With a mighty leap she pounced just as he spun around, causing her to land arms outstretched on top of him. "Got you now you fucker." She whispered dangerously. His arm came up slowly and his glove brushed her face.

"Isn't Akari cold in the snow?"

"No. I don't get cold easy anymore." She didn't flinch away from his touch, letting his finger trace her face, her anger dissipating. He sat up so that she was sitting on his lap facing him, an arm around her back to hold her close. "Tobi?" She asked hesitantly.

"Tobi thinks that he has caught Kari, not the other way around."

"Stop calling me that."

"We're on a mountaintop. No one is around for miles, so Tobi isn't worried."

"Fine... Obito. If that's how it's gonna be." They looked at each other for a moment before Akari rolled her eyes and made to remove his mask but he caught her hand with the one that had previously been on her face.

"No. I don't want you to see."

She frowned at this, not caring what he looked like but wanting to see her old friend and suddenly wanting something else as well.