Chapter 21) Recovery

Ugh. Akari's head hurt and she was incapable of forming any coherent thoughts.

"Hurry up Sasori, my man, hm." A voice said from above her and it was only then that Akari realized she was being carried in a pair of arms. Something tickled her nose and behind her closed lids light was present. Struggling she opened those lids to find a piece of blonde hair in her face.

"Dei-?" She asked in a weak whisper, closing her eyes again.

"Sasori-Danna, she's awake yeah, your healing worked. Get your old ass up and let's go."

"Dammit brat I'm almost out of chakra, I'll catch up." They stopped momentarily.

"Quick, she needs medical attention. She's a friend of Lady Angel's"

"Right away. Quickly, this way."

She was jarring against Deidara and let out a pained groan. Everything hurt so much. They stopped again and she felt her body being lowered, ending on a soft blanket. Where am I? Judging by the voices she concluded that there were many people around her and as she felt a pinch on her arm she succumbed once again to the darkness.

Akari was still sore and aching, still tired, and her head felt as though it had been split open but this time when consciousness came her eyelids seemed less heavy. She blinked in the dim light. This must be the Rain's hospital she realized, never having been inside this building before. And it's late. Who knows when. Well, I'm alive.. Oh shit I'm alive! I killed the bastard and lived! "HAH!" She laughed aloud, grinning madly and then groaning at the pain that accompanied the movement.

"What are you so pleased about, brat?" An annoyed voice came from the far side of the room. Looking over she saw Sasori in his true form reading a book. Needing water she noticed an open water bottle at her side and reached for it, managing to drink a little despite the stiffness of her arm.

"Sasori? What're you doing here?" At that moment memories began to come back and she felt bad about sounding rude. "You saved me...didn't you? Thank you."

"Go back to sleep."

"Why are you here so late?"

"You've forgotten once again that I'm no longer human. Since I don't need to sleep Konan asked that I spend nights here to monitor you."

"Oh. Well... thank you again." Awkward silence. "How bad was it?"

"Very. Many cuts, broken bones, and damage to your vessels, not to mention severe chakra depletion. You've been unconscious for twelve days." More awkward silence. "What was the laugh for?"

"Um, just the realization that I lived against that fucker."

"You're so vulgar." Inexplicably Sasori was smiling.

"Yeah, so what?" Akari asked a little defensively.

"You're better. It's good. You'll be traveling with Deidara and myself in two days time." Standing he left the room, Akari looking after him.

I wonder what that was about... Whatever. Another mission so soon? This is going to be miserable. Great. Closing her eyes Akari was once again granted sleep.  

Rising with the sun Akari waited impatiently for a doctor to come by and discharge her, but it wasn't that easy. There were many last minute checks to perform and she wasn't allowed to leave until the early afternoon. It was good to realize that she could walk without much pain, just stiffness. Her whole body was still unbelievably sore. Akari, who was starving, made her way to her favorite dango shop. She'd almost arrived when she recognized two figures sitting outside eating their own sweets. Almost as excited to see her friends as she was to eat dango she waved as Deidara's face lit up. Sasori didn't even glance her way.