Chapter 24

Aurora

Just a day was left for Jonathan to fulfill his threat and Aurora could tell from the glint in his eyes he's anticipating for it.

She had hoped on Jack. But it's been days since she last heard from him and now she doubts if he would ever come for her as he had promised.

A knock came to the door, and she looked away from the mirror to notice one of the maids stepping in, the maid bowed, before informing her that his Majesty is waiting for her.

Aurora nodded and getting up to her feet. She followed her out of the door. Today she was to witness her first execution.

She got to his study and waited for a minute before knocking, "Enter." Came Jonathan's voice from inside and she took a deep breath before making her way in to see Jonathan dressed in all black.

He turned and smiled in awe.

Then walking over to her, he grabbed her hand and brought it to his lips.

"Absolutely breathtaking," he said and kissed it. Aurora cringes, but says nothing, "Come-" he gestured her to his desk, where, letters, maps, and scrolls were scattered everywhere,

"What are these?" She asked, her eyes running curiously around. Jonathan walked over to her side and grabbing a scroll, he unveiled it to her, telling her how he plans on winning the war,

Soon it was time for the execution and they walked out to the front door of the castle where there were thousands of people gathered in rows.

On seeing them the crowd cheered and Aurora waved at them with a smile before taking her chair beside Jonathan.

"Today we will witness the execution of a girl who was accused of witchcraft." The executioner announced and the guards dragged a weak-looking girl onto the stage and tied her to a wooden stake.

Aurora gasped to her feet, recognizing the girl; it was the little girl she had met at the countryside. "No, no, you need to stop them.." She said in panic.

"Witchcraft is forbidden in the Kingdom, the girl should have known better." He said emotionlessly.

"She's just a child." She barked.

"Lessons have to be thought, the people have to learn."

"If you're not going to stop this, then I will." Aurora said and tried to go and help the girl but Jonathan pulled her back.

"Don't you dare." He warned in a threatful tone, gripping onto her wrist.

"Burn her."

"Burn the witch."

"Burn the which."

The crowd began to chant in unison and the guards lit up the stake and flames began to dance across her skin,

The girl began screaming and Aurora fell to the ground beside Jonathan begging him to stop them. But all her pleas went on deaf ears, Jonathan was adamant to prove his point.

"I would do anything." She finally cracked. But just then the screams stopped and Aurora cried even harder knowing the girl was dead.