3

(Later that night)

Shadow was lying in his small bed reading his invite Sonic had just gave to him.

It reads: Sonic's 22th Birthday Bash!!! It had his address and his number written on it as well.

He pulled out his phone and put Sonic's number in his phone. He pulled up his messages and thought for a second. He typed:

Hi Sonic, it's Shadow

He was conflicted on sending it. He was still a little on edge about Sonic being so kind to him earlier that day. Without thinking, his finger slid over to the send arrow and accidentally sent it. He internally panicked and tried to delete it before Sonic saw it. But too late. His phone dinged as he got a response.

Hey Shadow, what's up? Nice to see you put my number in your phone😋

Shadow began to calm down a little. He thought really hard what do next. So he decided to text back.

Nothing, just can't sleep.

Shadow waited so a second and nothing happened. 'I guess, he didn't want to-'

His notification went off! He looked at his screen.

If you want, we could talk for awhile. To be honest, I can't sleep much either. Tell me about your day. What's been going with you lately?

Shadow wasn't sure what to say. He had to admit, it was nice that someone was so invested in him, but did he really want to tell Sonic about his depression. Shadow shook his head and replied back.

Sh: My life is uneventful. Nothing really to report. What about you?

S: Honestly I've been trying to figure out something's about myself for a good 2 years. So more of self-discovery than actual events😅

Sh: That's good

S: Yup, I'm glad I did. I feel more comfortable being myself now. Maybe I'll tell you what I've discovered someday🙂

Sh: You don't have to if you don't want to. It's not any of my business.

S: But I do consider you a friend, I would think you have a little right to now.

Sh:.....

S: Shadow?

Sh:.....

Shadow had ended up falling asleep during their conversation. He laid there for the first time in awhile actually enjoying some real sleep.

(With Sonic)

Sonic was a little confused on why Shadow wasn't answering. More to the point of being concern.

'God, I hope I didn't make him uncomfortable. I just want us to be friends. I know we haven't seen or talk to each other for a long time but...I have a bad feeling about him. Like he's not exactly the same guy from when we last spoke. Maybe I can get him to explain himself a little more tomorrow?' Sonic thought as he laid but to his pillow drifting off into his sleep.

He couldn't help but smile. 'I can't wait. Finally, Shadow and I can just talk and have fun like normal people instead of rivals!'

Sonic slipped into his blissful slumber with his smile plastered on his face.