16

"What do you mean he disappeared!" Rouge confronted.

"When I went to take his vitals he was gone. Someone untied the binds and let him go." Dr. Murphy explained.

Rouge turned to Sonic. "Did you do that Sonic?"

Sonic sighed and nodded. "Yeah, But I couldn't stand to see him like that!"

"Well thanks to your actions, the whole hospital is on lockdown until we can find Shadow. I suggest helping the staff look for him." Dr. Murphy stated.

Rouge and Sonic nodded.

Rouge decided to go off on her own to the lower levels of the hospital while Sonic took the higher levels.

Sonic searched and searched the upper levels of the hospital. 'Where could he be?' He thought.

Than he saw some bloody bandages on the floor next to a door. He went towards them and picked them up. 'They've got to be Shadow's!' He thought. Then he looked at the door. His eyes widened.

It lead to the roof...

(With Shadow)

On the edge of the roof stood a shaking, tear filled Shadow with his hospital gown flowing in the wind.

'It will be over soon. No one can stop me this time.' He thought.

But suddenly what Sonic said came to mind. 'I'll never stop caring about you."

Shadow shook his head and looked down at the ground. "Just one step, and it will be done...just one." He spoke.

Shadow's legs trembled as he moved closer to his death.

"STOP!"

Shadow gasped as he turned around to see Sonic breathing heavily.

Sonic took a step towards him.

"Don't come any closer! Or I'll jump!" Shadow threatened.

"Okay okay, I just want to talk." Sonic said calmly.

"You've said enough lies to me Hedgehog. I don't need to here you-"

"THEY WEREN'T LIES SHADOW! IT WAS THE TRUTH!"

Shadow had never heard Sonic so angry. He froze.

Tears started to roll down Sonic's face. "WHY IS IT SO HARD FOR YOU TO UNDERSTAND HOW MUCH I CARE ABOUT YOU!...*tears flow more quickly* I-I love you Shadow...why can't you see that..."

Shadow shook his head. "I-It's not true...y-you're just trying to distract me... to p-play with my emotions!"

"NO IM NOT! I LOVE YOU SHADOW THE HEDGEHOG! I'LL SAY IT UNTIL YOU BELIEVE ME! YOU DON'T HAVE TO BE ALONE ANYMORE! I'LL STAY BY YOUR SIDE TILL THE DAY I DIE IF IT MEANS YOU'LL BE SAFE AND FEEL HAPPY!" Sonic preached.

Shadow turned away from Sonic as tears sped down his face. "I-It doesn't matter what you say...I-I'll always be stuck in this constant darkness and feel nothing but pain...I won't spend the rest of my life like this!" Shadow yelled as he was about to jump.

"Would Maria want this?"

Shadow's eyes widened as he froze in place.

"Would Maria want you to kill yourself after she sacrificed herself for you to live?" Sonic asked.

"Stop..."

"Are you willing to let Maria's death be in vein?"

"Stop it!"

"What would Maria say if she was here right now? You think she'd be proud of you for this?"

"STOP IT!" Shadow shouted as he gripped his head in pain. Flashbacks of Maria's death sped through his mind.

"Maria would want you to live your best life and be happy! Maria loved you Shadow! She died for you to live. She would want you to have fun, make friends, help people, take care of yourself, find love, and build a family! BUT THAT WON'T HAPPEN IF YOU JUMP!"

Shadow stood frozen on the edge of the roof, speechless. His eyes filled with despair, looking down at the ground.

"Shadow, Maria loved you just as much as Rouge and I do. You can still have the life Maria wanted to give you. All you have to do is step away from edge and take my hand." Sonic said calmly as he extended his hand to him.

"N-No one will expect me...everyone hates me...they want me dead...they'll never stop...th-they'll never-"

"So what? If they don't see the smart, kind, loving person you can be...then screw them. You have two true friends that love the real you."

"*chuckles lowly* H-How could you want to help a freak like me Sonic? A freak who cuts himself to take the edge off! A freak who drinks to not feel anything! A freak who tried to down a whole bottle a sleeping pills! A FREAK WHO'S ON THE EDGE OF A ROOF ABOUT TO JUMP!...*tears flow from eyes* How could you love someone like me?"

"Because I know that freak is nothing but a scared hedgehog who is afraid of being alone and hurt for the rest of his life, even though he has friends who will be with him every step of the way." Sonic spoke from his heart.

Shadow took one more look that the ground.

"Please take my hand Shadow. I promise you'll come out of the dark and you will never be alone again."

Shadow stood there shaking and looked at Sonic's hand.

"Please..." Sonic repeated.

"I-I can't move...m-my legs w-won't stop s-shaking." Shadow cried his arms wrapped around himself.

Sonic walked closer to Shadow with his hand still extended.

Shadow took one of his trembling hands and finally took Sonic's hand.

Sonic immediately yanked him away from the edge and held him tight. Sonic heard Shadow's breathing become heavily and felt his violently trembling body in his grasp.

Sonic went to his knees with Shadow in his arms.

Shadow was having trouble breathing and remaining calm. He could feel his heart racing and not wanting to stop.

Sonic took his hands and cupped Shadow's face. "In and out Shadow. In and out."

Sonic and Shadow breathed in and out a few times together. As soon as they did, Shadow was still violently shaking. His head was in Sonic's chest, but he hesitatingly look at the edge he was just standing on.

Sonic covered Shadow's eyes and turned his head away. "It's okay now Shadow. Your away from it." He said.

Shadow's eyes uncontrollably release his built up tears. Shadow loudly cried into Sonic's chest as Sonic wrapped his arms tight around him.

"It's okay, let it out. I've got ya Shadow." He said as some of his tears streamed down his muzzle.