The Call

a/n: i decided to republish this story. fair warning, it's super cringe (i wrote it when i was in middle school), and a lot of it is predictable and goofy. but i wanted to post it again because i know a lot of people liked this fic for some reason, so here's my summer gift to you guys lol

still discontinued though

Lee Jaemin, April 10th

It's officially been three years since my boyfriend Choi Minwo and I started dating. We were having a date to celebrate our anniversary.

Minwo and I had been busy with our jobs and college work, and it'd been hard to get any time together. He texted me that he was going to pick me up at 6.

It was about 4:30 in the afternoon, so I quickly took a shower. After I dried myself off, I got into a nice and formal black dress that stopped at my knees.

I styled my hair and even put a small amount of makeup on. Minwo didn't really like it when I have no makeup on when we're in public, so I had my best friend teach me how to do it.

By the time I was finished, it was about 5:30. Minwo usually arrives 10 minutes early, just to talk to my parents before leaving... but he never showed at 5:50.

When 6 o'clock came, he was still nowhere to be found. I waited and waited, but he never knocked on the door. Not even at 8, two hours later than the agreed time.

During the time I was waiting, I went onto VLive and watched Run BTS episodes. Of course, I began looking at the soulmate signs. I stared at the black stem climbing up Taehyung's right ankle.

At first, when ARMY saw the black, they thought his soulmate had died because your sign turns all black when they pass away.

After a while, Taehyung ended the controversy by publicly announcing that his soulmate sign wasn't actually all black. Everyone was relieved to hear this, but they couldn't help but wonder...

What was under it? If the sign isn't actually all black, then what was its color? What did the rest of the sign look like?

Nobody ever really saw his whole soulmate sign, other than probably the members at least. My eyes drifted to them next, the ones who had their soulmate sign of course.

Seokjin had a rose gold halo just at the end of his right eye. Namjoon had a bright and shiny silver star on his wrist.

Yoongi had a white crescent moon on his forearm, and Hoseok had a small yellow sun on his left cheek. Hoseok's sign is actually one of the reasons we call him the sunshine of BTS.

Surprisingly, Jimin and Jungkook hadn't gotten their soulmate signs yet.

Suddenly, right in the middle of an episode, my phone started ringing. At first I frowned because it was disrupting my K-pop time, but then I became hopeful because it was Minwo who was calling me.

"Minwo! Where are you?? I've been waiting for 2 hours and you never came to pick me up." I exclaimed, sitting up from my bed.

"Jaemin... I can't come today..." He replied.

"Oh... why? Is it because of work again?" I frowned.

"No... unless..." He trailed off.

"Unless what...?" I mumbled.

"Jaemin, did you get your soulmate sign yet?" He asked quickly.

I gulped. I knew where this was going. My brain was preparing itself, but my heart was crumbling. "No, I didn't," I whispered.

"Sorry." Minwo said before ending the call. I stared at my phone, wondering if this was a nightmare or it was actually real. My mind swept back through all the memories we made together for the past 3 years.

3 years. And all I got was a sorry when he dumped me because we weren't soulmates? He could've at least tried to sound sincere.

After a few minutes, I moved. I quickly changed out of my dress into comfortable clothes. I wiped off all of my make-up and sat down against my door.

I wasted my time on that relationship. It wasn't even working out that well. We were far too busy to hang out with each other often.

And now I'm remembering... he hurt me. Physically. He hurt me and tricked me into thinking it was for fun. I sat up with a blank face as I went through my memories of him once again.

He punched me in the side of the arm really hard one day, and it seriously hurt. I thought it was just a joke because after that, he began laughing and said, "sorry."

And one day at college, I saw him with his friends, also laughing. But this time, the laugh sounded more real and genuine. It didn't sound too forced.

It didn't sound plain. After that, I was always thinking why does he laugh differently around me when he wasn't with his friends?

I just chalked it up to him wanting to be calm around me because he wanted to seem like a gentleman. God, I was so wrong. Every time he hurt me, he did that same laugh.

Every.

Time.

He even slammed me against the wall after we had sort of an argument, and he made it seem like he wanted to have sex because he started kissing me on the neck...

I was being rational the whole time, and I stopped him. We're having a serious argument where both of us are very angry, and you're just going to try and have sex with me?

I didn't even give it much thought at the time because people get horny sometimes, right? But he never asked me about sex, and I knew I wasn't ready for it.

Never in my mind did I think it was because he was covering up something darker and more sinister. Abuse and even manipulation.

I didn't know he was capable of something like that.

My mind knew something bad was bound to happen, but my heart kept making me think that we were soulmates. It kept my hopes high up, and it let me fall into a hole.

I was hurt. Lost. Confused, even. I didn't know what to do. I hoped this was all just a nightmare, or a prank. My mind was racing, my heart beating out of my chest.

Tears were streaming down my face as I leaned the back of my head onto the bedroom door. I knew I wouldn't be able to sleep.

Why did it hurt so much? Why did this happen? Why was my heart so fragile and easy to break? ...Why did it have to be us?

I buried my face into my hands and sobbed. I thought we were soulmates. That we were destined to be together... but he dumped me on the road like I was a trash bag.

I sat there all night, crying my heart out, hoping that it was just a bad joke like all the other times. But Minwo never called or texted me again.

In fact, he blocked my number at 7 AM the next morning. The worst thing out of all of it though was that he did all of this to me on our anniversary.