The Story

Jeff sat there, shocked. He did not know what to say. I did not know what to say. He opened his mouth to say something, but quickly and forcibly shut it. I bit my lip, thinking about breaking the awkward silence.

"Um... sorry..." I finally said, not knowing what else to say.

"Erm, It is fine." He said, studying me. I wanted to lean over and kiss him, but after what I just said, and his reaction, I thought it would be better if I did not.

After about ten minutes of sitting on my bed, in silence, Jeff opened his mouth and said," I think I'm going to go sit in my room," and walked off. Once he left and closed the door, I laid back on the mattress and started to sob, quietly. I had feelings for Jeff, yes. I just did not know I had this much feeling for him.

Not even five minutes later, Jeff came running into my room tackling me.

"Jeff what-," He cut me off with his lips. I was so shocked at what had just happened, but this time, I kissed back. He pulled away and his pale face was tomato red. He simply looked at me and said,"sorry." I gazed into his grey eyes, the colour fit him well, and said,"there is nothing to be sorry about, Jeff." He smiled and hugged me. When he pulled away from the hug, he sat up and the bed and started telling me funny jokes, like we had been long lost friends.

"Why did the monkey fall out of the tree?"

"I don't know, why?" I asked. He looked at me with a straight face and said,"Because he was dead. Why did the Koala fall out of the tree?"

"Because he was dead?"

"Because he had a refrigerator tied to his leg. Why did the other Koala fall out of the tree." I thought for a minute, about to bust out laughing because I knew it would be an obvious answer.

"I give up. Why?" I finally asked.

"He was hit by the previous Koala." By this time were were both laughing so hard, the joke was not even that funny.

"Okay, I have another one. Why did Sally fall off the swing?" he asked, still giggling.

"Why?" I asked, concerned.

"She had no arms."

"That's horrible!"

"Knock, Knock." He said, looking like he was about to explode with laughter.

"Who is there?"

"Not Sally." We laughed so hard that our sides started to hurt.

After about an hour of telling funny and weird jokes. We heard someone knock at the door.

"Who is it?" I sang.

"Masky!" He sang back. I laughed and said,"Come in." He opened the door and smiled at us.

"Dinner is ready, nice to see you are awake, Salem."

"Nice to be awake." I smiled. We all got up and walked down the hall and into the kitchen to see a wonderful meal placed on the table. I had no Idea what it was, but, it looked delicious.

After dinner Jeff and I walked back up to my room. Once I sat on the bed, all reality hit me. 'I am never going to see Jasmine again. I will never see my mother again. Is anyone even looking for me, other than my mother?' I started to cry at this thought.

"What is wrong, Salem?" Jeff asked.

"Everything!" I yelled.

"I know how you feel..."

No you do not! You do not know what it is like to have everything taken away from you!" He looked at me with sadness in his eyes.

"Do you want to know how this happened?" He asked, pointing to his face. I nodded.

"We moved into a new house, in one of those 'rich' parts of town, ya know? It was my our first day of school there, my bother and I. These three kids, Randy, Keith, and Troy, came skateboarding up to us. After a while of talking, they pulled a knife on us. long story short, I beat them up and we fled the scene. After a while I went to this kid, Billy I think it was, birthday party. The three boys showed up there. After a while of fighting I ended up having alcohol and bleach all over my body. Keith threw a lit lighter at me, setting me on fire. My mother and Billy's mother, Barbara, tried to extinguish the fire. I passed out. I awoke in a hospital. When my mother got there I rushed into the bathroom seeing.... this face. I thought it was 'beautiful.' Late that night I burned my eyelids off and carved a smile into my face, so I could see my smile and smile forever. My mother lied to me, and wanted my father to get his gun. I jabbed a knife into their stomachs. I walked into my brother, Liu's room and told him to 'go to sleep.' and killed him. I had everything taken away from me, Salem, that is only the short part of what happened."

"I'm so sorry Jeff."

"Salem?" He asked.

"Yes?"

"Do you want to go home?"