Chapter 26

"Good morning, Kenny," I whispered, shaking her arm gently.

Her eyes fluttered open and she lazily rubbed the sleep from her eyes.

"Morning," She mumbled sleepily. "I don't wanna go to breakfast."

I swept the hair out of her face. "We don't have to. I had breakfast delivered to the room."

"Why?" She sat up quickly.

"What do you mean why?" I laughed.

"We always eat breakfast with Queen Amberley and Daddy in the dining room. I always get up really early and get ready and we eat with them." Her eyes examined me suspiciously. "Why aren't we eating with them?"

"I thought you could sleep in and we'd eat breakfast, just you and I," I explained.

"Without Daddy?" She asked.

"Yes."

"Why?"

I gave her a look.

"Are you and daddy in a fight?"

"No!"

"Then why are we eating you and I?"

"We ate just you and I for years," I defended.

"No," She disagreed. "We ate with Auntie Celeste."

"I need to tell you something!" I said. "That's why were eating just you and I."

"Okay."

She hopped off the bed, and scampered into the bathroom. I stared after her. She is so curious and when she doesn't understand something, she asks questions. It makes her a smarter child. I have a feeling it wouldn't go down so well in a meeting room as a princess. Does she want to be a princess? Would it make her life better or worse? Will the country accept her?

How do you tell a whole country that there is an heir? For years the country has celebrated the birth of royal children. Their are parties thrown and parades. The patriotism of Illea is never higher than when their is a baby in the way. I was born 2 years after Maxon was, and my parents used to tell me that the country still celebrated. How would they react to the news of a royal child that had been living in Illea for years without them knowing? A little girl with red hair and Maxon's eyes, born to a nobody.

"Mommy?"

Kendallyn's voice broke me from my thinking and I shook my thoughts away. I smiled at her.

"Yeah?"

"Isn't our food going to get cold?" She asked, her eyes flicking to the other room where our delicious palace food was indeed getting cold.

"Oh, yes," I agreed. I stood up off the bed and headed for the other room. Breakfast sat on my bed, on trays, steam still rising off it.

She climbed onto the bed, her fingers already touching all the plates to see her options. I sat down on the bed next to her, handing her a napkin.

"Be careful with that orange juice," I reminded her, watching her take a sip from her glass. She nodded, setting it down gently. She went for some food as I took a bite of my favorite.