31%

IT WAS very easy for Juliet to fall down a rabbit's hole of curiosity and eager discovery, when she was faced with the infinity wall of jewelry. She cannot recall how long she'd been in the back hallway of that antique shoppe, but by the telltale sound of the grandfather clock striking midnight, it was time for her to go.

She rifled through the dozen and a half boxes dedicated to just rings that Mr. Bishop collected, and found some very beautiful pieces. But none of them were the iconic ring that had flung her into the past. Juliet filed the last box into its snug spot, and grabbed her purse and headed for the door.

Mr. Bishop was nowhere to be found, the sign daintily alerting her that the store was closed. Upon closer inspection, Mr. Bishop left her a small handwritten note, one that was in a kinda hand.

Little bird-

You seemed deeply entranced in your search for your special gift, I couldn't bring myself to assuage your concentration. When you leave, just tightly shut the door behind you and it will remain locked from the inside.

Ta,

William Bishop

Juliet picked up the small note and studied it, believing her eyes deceived her. William Bishop was the name of her great grandad. This was his store. Juliet's heart beat for the wonderful old gentleman that was her grandfather.

Somehow, she gathered, somehow he knew I was family.

For once in the past three and a half weeks she felt just a little less alone. With a small smile that warmed the chill from her bones, she left the antique store, aptly named Bishop's Antiques, and made her way home.

The streets were still aglow with the sound of Christmas cheer, and teenagers and adults alike roamed the streets with starry eyes that were filled with the promise of a new year.

A promise to be truly penitent and free of envy or shame. Free of guilt, with a life full of awaiting hope and sheer beauty to look forward to. Juliet could not bear to tear her eyes away from the scene playing out before her eyes like some sort of movie film.

Most of these children were old and beginning to grey in her time, their parents one by one, slowly succumbing to the cruel master of time. The young time traveler's life had always been a preoccupation with time.

Would she have enough time to please her parents before it was too late? Would she have enough time to escape Jack? Would she ever have enough time to truly love and be loved?

So it wasn't earth shattering to Juliet when she became a criminal in the eyes of the god of time. It was only a matter of time before he caught up with her anyways.

Juliet made it back to her flat before too long, leaving the Christmas lights and good tidings behind her, preparing to shut herself into her room whilst the festivities rage on without her. She fished for her key in the pocket of her coat and cursed for the days she could open her apartment complex with the single keystroke of her phone.

Juliet often forgot that she was a woman displaced. That this time, this era with its traditions and feelings, didn't belong to her. Juliet was of the 21st century, a flighty creature enslaved to the world dominated by technology. Record players, phone booths, and other tools of times old, faded into the background of Juliet's new life in the past.