fourth year × 49

Nadia threw her hair up into a messy bun, leaving a few strands to frame her face then exited the bathroom, ready for the day ahead.

Ashton was perched on her bed when a cheeky grin crept across her face. "Merlin, I'm one lucky girl. Sam, don't you think we're lucky?"

Sam turned, reflecting Ashton's cheeky grin. "Hell yes."

Nadia rolled her eyes but a slight smile was tugging on her lips. "Shut up. Let's just get to breakfast."

•••

The three girls entered the DADA classroom with smiles on their faces. Nadia took her usual seat beside Harry and pulled out her equipment.

She sighed when he didn't bother to converse with her, only focusing on talking with Ron.

That soon came to an end as Moody appeared at the front of the classroom. "Alastor Moody." He wrote his name on the board then turned to the class. "Ministry malcontent. And your new Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher. I'm here because Dumbledore asked me, end of story. Goodbye. The end. Any questions?" No one dared to utter a word.

"When it comes to the Dark Arts, I believe in a more practical approach. But first, which of you can tell me how many unforgivable curses there are?"

"Three sir." Hermione called, snapping his attention to her.

"And they are so named?"

"Because they are unforgivable. Use of any one of them will--" She answered rather shakily until Moody cut her off.

"Earn you a one-way ticket to Azkaban. Correct. Now, the Ministry says that you're too young to see what these curses do. I say different! You need to know what you're up against! You need to be prepared." He turned to write on the board just as Seamus bent down to stick his gun under the table. "You need to find somewhere else to put your chewing gum other than the underside of your desk, Mr Finnigan!"

Seamus was taken aback, immediately stopping in his tracks. "Aw no way, the old codger can see out the back of his head."

"And hear across classrooms!" He wheeled and threw the chalk in anger. Nadia silently gasped.

"So, which curse shall we see first? Weasley!" Ron stood abruptly, shaking like a leaf.

"Yes..."

"Give us a curse."

"Well, my dad did tell me about one...the Imperious Curse."

Moody nodded holding a knowing look in his real eye. "Ooh yes. Your father would know all about that. Gave the Ministry quite a bit of grief a few years back. Perhaps this will show you why."

He limped over to a small jar which withheld a funny-looking spider. Popping off the lid, he took the spider out and enlarged it before casting the curse. "Imperio."

Moody used his wand to flick the spider around the classroom, tormenting certain students. "Don't worry! Completely harmless!"

The class was unsettled as the spider landed on Crabbe's head, then on Padma's arm then hovered over Ron's head. "But if she bites...she's lethal!"

Draco crackled loudly. "What're you laughing at?" Moody sent the spider over to Draco, landing on his face. He started whimpering as Goyle tried to bat it off.