Chapter 3: The Reality of a Hokage

I have edited.

Hiruzen stood on the earth made poles. He held a staff in a defensive stance and awaited Naruto's attack. He looked all around him as many clones of Naruto surrounded him, staff, ready for attack. Naruto ordered the attack and struck. Hiruzen trounced the first wave, but he realized that it was only used for cover. He blocked the stab that came from within the smoke and spun around to destroy another clone.

Naruto didn't give up as he continued to use the smoke as a way to attack and lashed out at Hiruzen. The old man countered every attack with some ease, but he was almost struck from below. He grabbed the staff and pulled Naruto up. Once in his face, he kicked him into the tip of a staff which dispelled him. He sensed more attacks coming from below and jumped in the air. Waiting for him were two Naruto ready to strike.

They both brought their staff down on the old man's staff. Hiruzen winced a little but gave it little thought as two more Naruto jumped at him, intending to catch him in the gut. Hiruzen spun him to break out of the stalemate he had. He smashed his staff into one Naruto that disappeared in a puff of smoke and kicked the other Naruto that also vanished. As he came down, he raised his staff in the air. He landed and drove the butt of his staff into one of the earth poles, and several other polls shot up from the ground. Several other poles shot up from the ground and destroyed the poles and the clones.

Once the dust settled, there were no more poles other than his. Naruto was struggling to free himself as one of the poles caught his shirt. Hiruzen took some deep breaths and sat down on the pole. He looked at his student and smiled.

"He almost had you that time Sarutobi. Perhaps you are getting too old to be sparring with such a young child." I spoke to the staff.

"Perhaps you're right, my old friend, but I get some joy out of these spars. He is only six, and he has progressed so far." Hiruzen said.

"Agreed, he is as hard-working as his father." Said the staff.

An eye appeared and looked at Hiruzen. "I've been meaning to ask, are you going to have him tap into his tenant's chakra?"

"I have not found a safe way to do so. I tried meditation, and he has accessed his mental world, but it was only for a short time. He doesn't truly focus on it as he gets bored very easily."

"Do you think it's wise for him even to try?"

"Wise, no, but it is necessary. While I am glad that Jiraiya's scan of the seal is positive, he will need to learn how to use that chakra at some point. Minato was a crafty man and didn't do things for no reason."

"Quite right," Naruto was able to free himself but fell on his butt. He held it in pain, making Hiruzen and the staff chuckle. "Well, if there is nothing else, Sarutobi, I will take my leave. If you do plan on allowing him to sign the contract, please summon me so we can work out a deal."

"Of course, Enma, I shall call you," Hiruzen said and bowed. The staff suddenly turned into a man-size ape. The ape did a hand seal and disappeared. Hiruzen stood up and jumped off the pole to check on his student.

Another year had passed, making Naruto seven years of age. His skills in Taijutsu, tactics, and Ninjutsu had significantly grown. He had taught the Kawarimi no Jutsu and Henge no Jutsu. As the Jiraiya scan had reported, Naruto's coils were massive and produced more chakra than anyone in the village. Sarutobi knew that this would be used to hold the boy back, so he taught him the Kage Bunshin technique. It was the perfect technique for him as he doubted Naruto would ever get tired from using it. He felt that it was time for the boy to join the academy.