Chapter 21: Getting to Know You

Team Anko walked along the route that would lead them toward An no Kuni (Land of Bean Jam). At the pace they were setting, they would arrive at the city in two days. Aiko stood in the middle of Anko's diamond formation. Anko was in the back, Naruto was on her left, Yakumo to her right and Jakken was in front. So far, it was smooth walking and not one attacked them.

Aiko looked at them and decided to start a conversation.

"So, what made you guys want to be ninja. It sounds like a dangerous lifestyle." Aiko said.

"Yeah, it's dangerous but it's a cool lifestyle. We stand for good and everything right in the world." Naruto said.

"Is that so?" Aiko said with interest.

"He's still a child. The shinobi world isn't as sunny as the brat's says." Anko said, ignoring Naruto's glare.

"So it's not all sunny like Naruto said?" she asked.

"No, sometimes we do things that others find disgusting and disturbing. We aren't seen in too positive light as our hands are stained with blood." Yakumo explained.

"Come on, that sound depressing. If you think like that, then the whole world is dark." Naruto interjected.

"She's just being truthful Naruto. You know the truth as well." Anko said.

"True but that doesn't mean we have to depress the client with our gloomy lifestyle." Naruto said.

"The brat has a point." Anko admitted. Aiko giggled as she observed them.

"You all seem very close to one another." Aiko said.

"They see me like a cool aunt." Anko said.

"More like a psychotic aunt." Naruto muttered.

"The psychotic aunt who escaped solitary confinement." Yakumo added.

"What was that you stupid brats?" Anko growled.

"Nothing sensei!" they both said. Aiko laughed but then looked at the back of Jakken. She was curious as to why he wasn't saying anything.

"Do you have anything to add Jakken?" she asked.

"We kill, we die, that's all I have to say." Jakken said darkly. Everyone looked at the teen with confusion. Jakken was a jerk but he wasn't that much of a jerk. Yakumo decided to change the subject.

"So Aiko-san, why is it that you chose this path in life?" she asked. Jakken scoffed at the question.

"It wasn't by choice. My father had debts and sold me to cover them. I could have left the life after the debt was paid but I got use to it. It isn't a respected life but it is one that I have come to accept." Aiko said.

"Of course you got use it. Doing any real work would be too hard for a whore." Jakken muttered. Anko was quickly in front of him and gave him a hard slap to his cheek.

"That's enough Jakken. If you have nothing good to say, then shut your mouth!" Anko said with authority. Jakken rubbed his cheek and looked at Anko. She saw that he did not look sorry for anything that he said. Anko sighed and gave him a hard look. "Why don't you make yourself useful and scout ahead?"

"Yes ma'am." Jakken said and he was gone. She turned back to Aiko and her team.

"I'm sorry about him. He's never so rude toward clients." Anko said.

"No, it's alright. What he said isn't as bad as what most say." Aiko said with a smile. Naruto and Yakumo looked at each other and decided to get to the bottom of Jakken's behavior.