27. Sunflowers

Sunflowers.

Summer stared at the sunflowers that laid on the ground- wrapped with pink ribbon all over the stems. She picked it up and examined the flowers, looking for any card attached to it.

And there was a folded pink paper attached to the pink ribbon. Summer opened the folded paper and read the message in it.

Summer blinked and she felt her chest was heavy. It was suddenly really hard for her to breathe. She knew who had sent that flowers to the penthouse. She knew who had written that message for her because she knew well who was the owner of the handwriting. She knew exactly who the person was.

Memories from the past flooded her mind and she felt suffocated by the air around her. How could he find her here in New York? And most importantly, how could he be here when he was supposed to be in London?

The door bell rang and Summer quickly whipped her head to see the door. She wiped her cheeks with the back of her hand and tried to take a few deep breaths, so her breathing could turn to normal pace again.

With the last deep inhale, she walked to the front door. Her heart was beating faster with each every step that she took. She began to ask herself if she was ready to face whoever it was behind the door. Could it be him? The man from her past that she used to love; the man from her past that she used to think was the only one for her. With a shaky hand, she turned the door knob, only greeted by Calum.

"Oh, thank God," Summer muttered under her breath with relief.

Calum stared at her weirdly. "Summer? You okay? You're so pale like you've just seen a ghost," Calum said with concern. He reached out his hand and placed it on her forehead.

Summer only let out a nervous chuckle. She placed her hand on top of his and pulled it down so she could lace their fingers together. "I'm fine," she answered.

Calum's attention now drawn to the sunflowers in her other hand. "What is that?" He asked.

Summer looked to the sunflowers and swallowed the lump in the back of her throat before she turned to see him and flashed him a grin. "Sunflowers," she replied.

"I know that," Calum said, furrowing his eyebrows. "I mean, where did you get that from?"

"Oh," Summer said. Then suddenly it was really hard for her to open her mouth and say anything to Calum. Should she lie to him? But then, why would she lie to Calum? "Uh- I, I bought it before you came," she stuttered.

Summer could tell that Calum didn't buy anything that she said to him just by the look on his face. So she decided to change the topic before he could. "So, what're you doing here?" She asked.

"I have a plan for us today," he answered with a wide grin and mysterious look in his eyes.

"Is it has anything to do with my punishment?" She gave him a questioning look.

He gave her a thoughtful look for a moment, pretending that he was thinking before he answered. "Maybe."

Summer rolled her eyes before she turned around, walking towards the living room. She put the sunflowers inside an empty vase and put some water inside from the kitchen sink before she placed the vase on a small table near the sliding glass door that led to the outside of the penthouse.

"Let me change my outfit. It won't take long," Summer said as she walked to her bedroom. She opened the door and turned to see Calum who was still standing in the middle of the living room. "Can you at least give me a clue of where are we going to so I could match it with my outfit?" She asked.

"Just wear something casual," he replied.

Summer nodded and walked inside before she closed the door.

Calum looked around the living room and his eyes stopped at the sunflowers. He remembered that Sophie had told him before that Summer liked sunflowers. When he heard it, he couldn't help but smile because he found it really suited her; like the sunflowers were symbolizing her.

He had planned to buy the sunflowers before he came here but it looked like someone else had stolen his idea. He knew that Summer had been lying to him about her buying the sunflowers because he could see it in her eyes.

He walked towards the table where the flowers were and noticed that there was a folded paper beside the vase. With curiosity, he picked the paper and unfolded it. He began to read the message inside and his heart was beating like crazy with fury and jealousy because he knew who was the sender just by reading the message in it. As he reached the end of the message, he read the sender's name and his assumption was right.

He almost crumpled the paper in his hands and he had to fight the urge to throw the sunflowers away. Maybe he would yell to Summer too because he thought there was no point to keep the things that person had sent to her. He put the letter back to its position and looked outside to be greeted by the view of New York City.

He remembered that time when Summer had admitted that she wasn't sure about her own feeling towards that man. Calum couldn't stop the thought of her still loving him flooded his mind. He hated it. He had to change her mind. He had to make her like him.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Where are we going?" Summer asked this question for the umpteenths time to Calum as they walked hand in hand.

Calum looked at her from the corner of his eyes. She was pouting and looked at him with her puppy eyes. He only smirked at the sight. "It's a secret," he replied the same answer that he'd given to Summer everytime she asked where they were going to. His answer this caused Summer huffing in annoyance.

"You are really damn annoying when you smirk like that," she huffed again.

Calum laughed, pulling her closer to him. "But you still love me anyway. If you don't, you wouldn't be here with me," he stated then gave her a cheeky grin.

He could see she was blushing and looked away from him. Out of the blue, someone walked out of a shop and it was causing them to bumped into him- actually, it was more like Summer who bumped into him. And unlucky to that person, he stumbled back to the ground.

"Shit, Summer. Are you okay?" Calum asked her, putting his hands on her shoulders.

Summer was covering her face with her hands. Calum assumed that her face hit that man's body really hard.
He heard her winced in pain but she nodded anyway, showing him that she was okay.

Summer turned her head to see whoever the person she had bumped into. She immediately dropped her hands to the side and her face went pale. She stared at him with wide eyes and it made Calum confused. He turned his head to see a tall blond guy with green-hazel eyes. He was still on the ground, now sitting straight as he looked at Summer with surprised look on his face too.

Calum never met the person before but something in his heart and his mind told him that this man was the person who had sent the sunflowers to the penthouse for Summer; this man was someone from Summer's past; this man used to be someone important in her life.

The man stood up, not once breaking his gaze from Summer's eyes. It was pretty annoying for Calum because it felt like that man didn't even realize that Calum was there with Summer although he was standing right beside her.

"Chelsea," he said in barely whisper tone.

"Duke," she said, completely out of breath suddenly.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This one is just a filler chapter, I think.
What do you think would happen in the next chapter?

Please vote and leave a comment for this chapter, lovelies :) I'll edit this later. I'm too lazy to do it right now lol. Thanks for reading btw!

OH AND MERRY CHRISTMAS TO THOSE WHO CELEBRATE!!

-Audi-