27. Sol

I froze at Bree's words.

What does sol mean?

I looked up from my plate, hesitant. Her eyes were vicious, and I feared for my life. No, she didn't look like she was just curious. Hell no. She meant business.

"Um... Nothing." I looked at Carla, who had raised her head to look at us like she was witnessing the ignite of a war. "It's just... a general term of affection."

"Then why don't I see you calling anyone else that but Val?"

Damn you, you Irish fox.

"I... don't know. I used to call all my friends that. I don't know what happened."

"I think I have an idea." She turned to Noah as he came back to the table, distracted with his phone. "Hey, Noah. What does sol mean in Danish?"

"It means Sun."

"Sun?"

"Yeah, like the star. Big ball of fire above our heads." He looked up from his phone, then his eyes went wide. "Oh shit, I'm so sorry."

"Don't.''

I looked at each of my friends, silently pleading for help, but of course, it was for nothing. There was nothing they could do. After that, it's an understatement to say the night had been ruined. No one had the guts to break the awkward silence that fell upon us for a while, and when Carla finally did, Bree was cold and vague with her answers. My friends quickly made an excuse to leave, which was so understandable, and so we did the same. We were silent the whole cab ride back to Bree's place and still as we walked in.

"Are you ready?" she said.

"Yeah, bring it."

"Sun, Ash?" She yelled at me for the first time ever. "You call her the Sun?"

"Why is it so bad?"

I know, loooong shot.

"Why? Why?" she barked at me like a rabid dog. "I don't know, maybe because she's your bloody ex? And the fact that she was your first and only girlfriend before me, and you don't call anyone else that, not even me?"

"Look, I'm--"

"You mean the girl everyone keeps pushing your way?" She cut me in. " The one who's in those CK ads making out with you half-naked? Of course, it's bad, Ash! Everywhere I look there's a picture of the two of you; people talking about how great you two were together... I mean, what did you even see in her? She's got nothing to do with you!"

I didn't even try to answer, because something that gorgeous tall thing would never understand was that Valentina had never been like anyone else. For starters, she wasn't into me at first, so she never kissed my ass, never had to fake, never let me get away with anything. She was more real than what I could have expected from most people. My whole social circle was built on that premise, and it obviously couldn't have been different for my first time ever falling in love.

But Bree didn't need to know everything.

"I thought you didn't care about any of that," I said.

"I didn't! But everyone has a limit, Ash! Seriously, do you have any idea how hard it was for me to listen to how madly in love you were for her and how broken you felt when she dumped you? And from none less than your twin sister!"

"Ada told you that?"

I had taken Bree to Denmark during one of my breaks and introduced her to my sister. I didn't let her meet my whole family just yet and boy, was I glad I didn't. If Ada had told something like that to my girlfriend, can you imagine what my mom would have said after she had been so biased towards Val?