37. Tea-Biscuit Bullshit

"Are we there yet?" Vicky asked me for the millionth time as we sat through the quick flight to Scotland

"Calm down." I laughed. "I said it was quick, but not that quick."

Vicky squinted her savvy eyes at me like I had fooled her.

"Okay, maybe I said it. But I'm used to longer flights," I said. "Once I sat through a ten-hour one. Do you know how long that is?"

She shrugged. "No."

"Didn't think so."

She smiled at me, wrinkling her tiny nose, and I melted. I had decided to listen to Val and adopt Vicky like I'd always wanted, so I kickstarted the process that same weekend, before going back to Dublin. Sometimes it can take years until you get the child, but I passed every test, had great references and influence, and the fact that she was sick and I could help -- and was already helping -- had sped it up to just a few months. I felt incredibly lucky.

Of course, it wasn't easy to be a single father, especially of a little girl, but Ada and mom helped me a lot. The fact that my family had known Vicky for three years and that she was already used to our presence at the orphanage and the hospital had made the process smoother. She was already calling me daddy, and it felt even more amazing than I had expected. After all, I had thought of her as my daughter for a long time, even before I realized it. I finally stopped feeling like there was something missing.

"Are we going to see her?" she asked.

"Who?"

"Ms. Chiatti."

"Oh... Of course, she will be there."

"Good." She looked satisfied. "I like her."

"Mee too. She's daddy's best friend."

"I thought uncle Noah was your best friend."

"You never let anything pass, do you?"

She smiled proudly. "I'm a very smart girl."

"Fine, she's my second best friend. And don't forget she's carrying your baby brother inside her belly."

Her eyes widened up, and she clapped in excitement at the mention of her little brother. I loved watching Vicky's reactions to new things. First the plane, then the quaint village that led to Ethan's childhood home, then the fortress...

"We're staying in a castle!" she yelled like her head was about to explode.

"You bet, baby."

We were welcomed by the groom and bride, who I hugged like I hadn't seen in months -- which I hadn't.

"Oh, my God! Daddy Müller! I can't believe this!" Ethan said before taking Vicky off my arms and tickling her.

"I know. The world is coming to an end," I said in English.