fourty | escape

"Sorry about the face." Lincoln said as he sat down between Taya and Kane.

"It was almost worth it." Taya replied, shrugging it off.

They fell into a silence for a moment, all just wishing it'd worked.

"You inspire them." Kane said to Lincoln.

"Yeah, and I'm not gonna let you two give up either." Lincoln promised.

"Chancellor on deck!" A guard called. Pike walked in.

"Octavia?" Lincoln pressed, realizing he didn't have time to work up to his question anymore.

"I don't know." Taya shook her head honestly. "But if anyone can survive this, it's her." Taya reassured him.

"I'm not here for you." Pike said to Kane who stood up with a raised jaw.

"Each of you is guilty of the same crimes as Kane and Taya, and as such, you will share the same fate, death." Pike stated, looking around.

A fire lit in Taya's eyes.

Lincoln held his hand out as Taya snapped to her feet. Lincoln calmly stepped forward.

"My people are innocent. They know nothing. Don't let them suffer for my crimes. Please." Lincoln begged.

"Sir, Lincoln's right. All the others did was run through an open door. Same thing we would do if we were in there." Bellamy pressed.

Pike looked around.

"I believe that's true. Kane, Lincoln, and Taya as the leaders of this coup, you will pay for your crimes with your lives. Execution is set for dawn." Pike said before everyone walked off. Except Bellamy.

But after a moment, when he realized he couldn't meet anyone's stares, he swiftly followed.

•••

"Could have worked." Lincoln said, snapping Kane and Taya out of their separate thoughts. Lincoln was referring to the brand on Kane's arm.

"Death can be an act of unity, too. We don't break. We don't show fear. The people will remember." Kane said, looking between the two. Taya nodded firmly but couldn't help the tears that welled.

But she'd best get them out now and not at the execution.

"Chancellor on deck." A guard called.

"It's time." Another called.

"They're here to take me away you must not resist." Lincoln reassured the spooked Grounders.

"I can't protect them without you." One woman fretted.

"Listen to me. You are a warrior. Stay strong." Lincoln ordered.

"Back up. Back up." The guards ordered as they entered the room.

"Against the wall. Now." Pike demanded and the three did so.

Guards walked forward with the cuffs that bound the hands and feet together. Taya forced her head high as they walked through the halls.

"Make way!" Pike ordered to a wanderer.

"Yes, Sir, Mr. Chancellor." Harper said. Taya made brief eye contact with Harper. She didn't know if actually meant if they were being rescued or not, but it gave her hope.

"Sir, you were right. Octavia Blake is here, and she's not alone." The radio's called. It was Hannah.

"On their knees!" Pike ordered and the guard brought them crashing down.