thirty two | trapped

The Rover eventually came to a stop as they neared the woods that were too dense to weave through.

As soon as it did, Taya sighed, opening the back door and hopping out, gun already in hand.

"These woods must be the border." Bellamy said from behind her.

"So, where's all the ice?" Jasper asked jokingly.

"Much further north. Azgeda stretches for a 1,000 miles." Octavia informed the group.

"Good thing we only have to go 200 meters." Monty said, holding the tracker close to him.

"Slow down. Remember, rules of engagement are non-lethal force. Tight formation on my command. Raven, you stay in the rover." Bellamy ordered.

"Yeah, right." Raven scoffed.

"We need every gun we've got." Octavia sided with Raven.

"They're coming." Monty warned. "120 meters. 110." Monty said and took a rushed step forward, only for Bellamy to stop him, raising his gun.

"They're our people. What are you—." Monty objected.

"We hope they're our people." Bellamy reminded him. Octavia pulled out her sword and Taya rose her gun as well.

"On my command." Bellamy reminded everyone as a horse neighed. Out rode grounders.

"Ice Nation?" Bellamy questioned.

"Yes." Octavia confirmed. "White war paint."

The three riders slowed to a halt.

"Stay calm." Octavia whispered before taking a few steps forward with her hands up.

"Who are you?" One demanded.

"Sky people... our people." Taya was only partially fluent in Trigedasleng, but typically was able to pick up the jist of what they were saying.

However she didn't understand the grounders response.

"They think we're looking for Wanheda." Octavia told them.

"Who's that?" Bellamy questioned.

"I don't know." Octavia hissed, the tension growing as one man left his horse and slowly moved forward.

"The light. That's the beacon." Monty pointed out the beacon on the man's body.

"Ask them where he found it." Taya told Octavia, but before she could, Jasper walked forward.

"Hey. Get back here." Bellamy ordered, but Jasper didn't listen as he shot forward. The other two men pulled back their arrows.

"What are you doing?" Raven demanded harshly.

"Jasper!" Octavia grabbed the back of his vest only for Jasper to shrug her off.

"It's okay. I got this." Jasper carried on.

"Tell them we observe the Commander's truce. Do it now." Bellamy ordered and Octavia did.

Jasper stopped in front of the man before ripping off the beacon.

"This belongs to us." Jasper held it up and turned. Before he could take a step however, the man grabbed him, pulling him back and bringing his knife to Jasper's throat.

"Where's Wanheda?" The man yelled. Everyone's weapons were raised and pointed at each other.

"Let him go!" Bellamy demanded.

"We don't know who that is! Please. We can help each other." Octavia begged. Taya trained her sight on one of the riders who had their bows loaded and pointed.