accident (nr)

i opened my eyes, yawning and rubbing my eyes. i rolled over, expecting to see my girlfriend, natasha, lying next to me but the bed was empty. i grabbed my phone to check the time and frowned when i read the numbers. 3am, where the hell is she? i willed myself up, pulling a hoodie over my head. unlocking my phone, i dialled her number but it went straight to voicemail. confusion hit me like a wave. i walked into the living room of the apartment nat and i shared. i noticed the plate of food i'd cooked for her before i went to bed still full and on the table. my heart plummeted when i saw her leg brace in the middle of the floor, as if it had been flung. my mind flicked back. nat's accident. two weeks ago, in the middle of a mission. she took a big fall and broke her leg. it wasn't serious and she was on the mend but the guy she was chasing got away and she felt like she'd let everyone down. she was devastated. i knew nat better than anyone and i knew exactly where she'd be. i grabbed my car keys and ran to my car, racing to the hq as fast as i could. what did natasha do when she felt an overwhelming emotion? she trained. no matter what it was, lust, love, anger, sadness, happiness. she would fight it out of her system. i pulled up outside the hq and as expected, i saw a light shining in the training room. following the light, i found nat quickly. my heart broke as i watched her, moving slowly towards a punch bag, the pain evident on her face. she whirled around, trying to land a harsh punch but fell to the ground, tears streaming out her eyes. i sprinted to her side, catching her before he did anymore damage to her leg. she said nothing, not daring to look me in the eye, as if she was ashamed. "baby. what on earth are you doing? its 3am and you're injured!" i stroked her head softly as she sobbed. "i'm no good y/n. i cant even fight anymore. i let the team down, i let you down-" she started but i cut her off. "nat, you didn't let anyone down. me, the team- all we want is for you to be okay. we don't need you to be perfect. we love you for who you are, not your fighting skills however badass they may be, you silly girl" i whispered, pulling her to her feet and linking her hand with mine. i kissed her softly on the cheek. "lets get you home, you're on bed rest for the foreseeable future and doctor y/n is going to make sure you don't move a muscle" i scolded her. she looked at me lovingly, her innocent eyes streaming. "i love you y/n" she mumbled, snaking her arm around my waist. "i love you too stupid"