Chapter 35 - Kiyoshi & Shiro I

Eight years ago- [eight years old]

I continue to read the whole entire page of the book and after some minute, turning its' pages as my eyes and interests are darted on the book. I sat at the plain grass as my pet dog was beside me sleeping. I enjoy the story so much that the heat of the sun was bearable for me to feel. 

It was a peaceful sunny morning, perfect to spend all of my time reading again. I find reading really fun and at the same time relaxing. Unlike other kids who prefer playing or running under the sun until they all get sweaty or dirty. I wasn't that kind of kid. Only reading and playing with my dog- Shiba- was enough for me. 

In the midst of my enjoyment, Shiba quickly sat up and start smelling the grass which caught my attention. I looked at him curiously and asked him what's wrong even though I know deep inside me he won't understand and he won't reply to me. He just stopped on what he was doing and start running away from me. 

I stood up with my book on my hand still open to the current page I was reading. Maybe Shiba wants to play catch? I asked myself. Jeez! now even dogs find me boring to be with. But knowing Shiba, he is feared by other kids because he always barks at them when he meets new people, so, it's impossible for him to get himself a playmate. 

I gave a small sigh and start finding Shiba. As I find him, I saw some kids running away for their lives like they saw a monster. I guess, that's where Shiba is, I thought. I continue to walk and there he is on the bench but he wasn't alone, he was with someone else. My eyes widen a bit with the new scene I saw. It was unusual because for the first time, there wasn't a kid who was afraid of him and that made me feel relieved. 

I walked towards them and Shiba run towards me. I kneel down and hug him as I approach the kid who was sitting on the bench with Shiba. 

"Yo!" He greeted with a grin. 

"Hi." and I sat beside him. 

"Your dog?" He asked. I just gave him the 'Isn't-it-obvious?' look. 

He chuckled, "Yeah, right. Of course it's yours. Sorry." 

I took my eyes off him and we just sat there in silence. I'm not good at conversing so I know sooner or later he'll just leave like most of my playmates does. I put the book on my lap and Shiba between us. But, the kid suddenly grabbed my book and turn the pages in awe. 

"Cool! You read books, too?" He asked as he starts reading the summary at the back of the book. 

"Yeah." I gave a small answer and stared at him. It's my first time meeting someone who finds reading books cool and not just that he just said that word, 'too.' 

"Uhmm. You read books, too?" 

He glanced at me giving me a nod and then he starts reciting all the books he had read. I just watched him talk and I listened to every word he says. Not in a romanticized way but in awe. It's my first time meeting someone who actually likes books and never called me boring. 

"There are books of that author that I've read. I like that writer but sometimes the words are too deep I can't even understand anything. At first, I want to stop reading because I feel like an idiot but I just continue reading because if I stop, then I'll be an idiot forever and I don't like that." Then he pouted. 

I chuckled at his story. I see myself in him. I'm like that, too. I mean who isn't? Who wants to read a book containing lots of deep words you don't even understand? But I guess that's the most challenging yet thrilling part of reading a book. It teaches you indirectly. 

This kid was very talkative. He keeps telling me his crazy encounters when reading a book then he just suddenly stoped. "Oh yeah! I forgot, But first, I'm sorry for talking too much but what's your name?" He asked.