Itachi's Dilemma

***I would like to say quickly that I thought Shisui was five years older than Itachi, but he's actually only three years older, which is why he was already genin by Itachi's fourth birthday, even though he should have just graduated. So let's just say Shisui graduated just as he turned seven, leaving Kakashi still the youngest to graduate, and it's already been more than half a year since so.***

.

.

.

Itachi had always been aware that his brother was different from any other child he had seen at their age. It was all the more apparent when he began attending the Shinobi Academy. Albeit, he knew he wasn't all too normal either, but Satsuki held something more than the raw intellect and talent that Itachi owned. It was clear in his seemingly cold eyes when he buried himself deep into the depths of his mind, or the way he seemed to know everything around him; an aura of understanding always surrounded Satsuki. How can his sheltered brother have the aura of an adult? 

His observation were put off to the back of his mind for the past year, what with the kidnapping and his own ambitions to grow stronger hogging his attention. Practice, practice, and studies took up all of his time for him to stop and consider it once again. But now, as he peered down at this odd writing that was too structured to be a mere child's scribbles, he had to remind himself of what he already knew. His brother's reaction didn't help to allow him to even think that it was just mindless scrawls.

When he first saw the paper, he contemplated keeping it to himself and letting his brother maintain his privacy, but Itachi was too curious. He didn't expect his brother to react in shock. His dilated pupils screamed danger and something in Itachi's chest hurt to see the defensiveness from his brother. Yet Satsuki gave him an answer, one that explained nothing, but an answer nonetheless. Satsuki had even said it aloud. He knew from that alone that his brother would explain. Maybe it was everything. He was hoping for everything after all, but it would take a while more before then.

So Itachi decided to figure out whatever he could on his own and there were only two people he would trust to ask.

Shisui and Itachi had grown closer over the last few months since his fourth birthday. Soon after he'd joined the Academy the older boy approached him seemingly for no reason (maybe it was for solidarity over whatever was cursing Satsuki, as his brother had been the one to get closer to the older boy to begin with), and asked to train together. It led to them meeting twice a week near the Naka River unless Shisui was busy. Shisui was quick to observe Itachi's current level of combat and potential, gradually becoming more of a mentor than a partner as the older boy was already an established Genin for a while already. Through Shisui's lessons and Itachi's ability to control Chakra, Itachi was quick to pick up on how to enhance speed and strength, walk on trees and water, and develop chakra senses. It impressed his father when he credited Shisui of his basic understanding and adaptivity to new training. Itachi admired him.

Shisui met up with him a few days after Itachi confronted Satsuki for their usual practice. From only a first glance, the older Uchiha was aware that Itachi had something to ask, so he quietly stood in front of Itachi and waited for the younger boy to gather his thoughts. Itachi finally took out the piece of paper from his secured pocket and handed it to Shisui. "I've never seen this writing before." Was Shisui's quick assessment, along with his curiosity brought to the forefront.  "Where did you get this from?"

"You have access to the library's back rooms. Can you see if there's anything about this?" Itachi asked instead.

"I'll check, but where did you get this from? Don't tell me you stole from your dad!" Itachi gave him a blank stare. For all of the prodigal genius the older boy was, he could be quite dense. Shisui chuckled. "Right. You would never."