The Meaning of Loyalty

Itachi came home sporting his Jounin uniform the day before Sasuke's birthday. I imagined the Jounin test would take months like the other ones, but I wasn't going to question having him back home so soon. Despite my happiness, my worry was growing. To everyone else Itachi appeared calm like always, but I could see how he held his forehead protector just a tad too tightly, and the way he never strayed his eyes from Sasuke. Good thing about it was that our little brother basked in his undivided attention. I let him have a moment with Sasuke, who pestered him about his time away, before I pulled Itachi aside to the back patio, much to Sasuke's disappointment. Itachi gave me a questioning stare. [What happened?] I asked frowning.

Itachi took in a deep breath and averted his eyes off into the backyard. "I've been scouted for Anbu." He said softly.

My breath nearly stopped. [You just passed your jounin test!] The harshness of my signing made my joint pop audibly.

He acknowledged my agitation with a somber smile. "I'll be fine. Kakashi-senpai said he'd have me join his team. It's just... being Anbu will keep me away from home much more."

The darkening of his gentle expression lost me my irritation. [Can't you decline?] I asked, though I knew that wouldn't be an option for him.

"It's an honor, Satsuki. The Hokage personally identifies nominees and consults with the council with regards to their abilities. Most of all, their loyalty. Of course, to become one officially is under the Anbu commanders jurisdiction." Itachi's lips were upturning into a smile and I was taken aback.

I hesitated to ask, [You want to be an Anbu?] It didn't make sense to me that he would want to. I barely understood the inner workings of Anbu even after watching the show, but I knew the organization dealt with the most dangerous and violent missions within Konoha. Kakashi had been in the Anbu in his guilt ridden depression, almost like a silent suicidal tirade, going on mission after mission that even the Hokage had to interfere in order to force him to retire from it. It just exemplified how dangerous the Anbu missions were. How could he want to be involved in something like that?

"I do," he answered plainly. "As Anbu I can do so much more for both the village and the clan by working with the Hokage directly and building comradery with those of power." Itachi kept his gaze away from my wide ones, as if to tune out my disapproval. He was always disregarding my concerns for him, but I got it. Almost too clearly, I understood. Itachi never thinks for himself. What he wants is what is best for others, that being the village and his family. Somewhere along the way, hisself no longer fit into the equation.

I took in a deep breath and pulled Itachi by the arm so we were standing in the backyard. The dirt underneath our soles were loose enough to write in. After grabbing a rock just nearby, I crouched down and etched out a name. Itachi stared at the writing and then back to me as I stood and wiped the name from existence with my feet. "Why..." He muttered.

[Despite loving the village, it's not perfect. The people in power are not always trustworthy.] I signed vigilantly.

"But that is an elder of the Konoha council. He was the Nidaime's student and teammate of the Sandaime."

I scrunched up my face in displeasure. I wrote another name on the ground before wiping it away once more. [And what of him? A student of the Sandaime.]

Itachi didn't reply immediately, but I could see his confused expression smoothing out. "He became a missing-nin just after Yondaime-sama's inauguration... After being found doing illegal human experimentations. However, it's easy to tell that Orochimaru has no loyalty to the village from what I have seen, but I've met Danzo-sama as well. The elder has great loyalty to Konoha." Itachi was only spelling out his defense against what I was implying, so I didn't take his current disagreement to heart.

I shook my head firmly. My eyes bore into his own and I made sure to convey the seriousness of what I was doing right now. I wasn't ready for anyone to read my journal as of yet since I didn't exactly write the dangers of the future on those pages, but the story of my previous life. It explained why I knew so much, but not what the knowledge was. It wasn't because I was still uncertain and afraid, though the anxiety was still predominant, but I knew I had to slowly start revealing that I knew much, much more than what they may think. Doing nothing is certified for failure, and doing something will give me a chance for success. [What does loyalty to the village mean to you?] I asked.

Itachi didn't need a second to answer and his response was instantaneous. "Protecting everyone within Konohagakure to the utmost of my abilities. For peace."

I nodded to show my support of his vision. [That is not the same loyalty Danzo has.] I didn't have a sign for Danzo's name exactly, but gesturing about an elder was good enough. [His loyalty is to the village's power and reputation. He will do whatever it takes to maintain Konoha's dominance over the other villages at the expense of our own citizens, and he himself wants to stand as its leader. That, Itachi, does not allow for peace.]

Itachi only continued to stare at me even after I was done trying to explain as best that I could about the man who had too much control over him in another lifetime. The message was crudely portrayed with the limited amount of signing available, but I knew Itachi would understand. "How can you be so sure?" He finally asked, his tone abnormally neutral. My chest tightened as my nerves frayed, but I willed myself past it.

[Once you read my journal, you'll understand.]

Itachi turned his eyes to the disturbed dirt where I had written the names down. "I will keep it in mind the next time I meet him." His tone had gone back to normal. No doubt it was due to him noticing my anxiety, but still the tightness of my chest vanished and I embraced Itachi gratefully. He returned it firmly. We made our way back inside and found Naruto bouncing excitedly on his heels in the living room. Rin was there laughing softly at his behavior as Mother set tea for her at the dining table. "You've come earlier than expected." Itachi spoke fondly to the blond ball of energy.

"I just can't believe we didn't have a sleepover before this! I told Shika about it and he said he'd already been doing it with whoever Choji is! I know he feels smug about it, datte'bayo!" Naruto exclaimed disgruntled. He lit up once he caught sight of me and ran over excitedly. "Hey, hey, Satsu-nii! Come over with us too!"

I patted his soft head of hair. [Not tonight. This one is for you and Sasuke. I'll sleep over another day.] It was a mystery as to why Naruto took so much of a liking to me. He never learned how to read my sign language as of yet and always needed a third person to translate, such as now as he turned to Itachi to clear up what it is I had signed. I was always off to the side like every one else whenever he joined, merely watching over him and Sasuke silently as ever.

Naruto pouted at my refusal before moving on quickly when Sasuke came racing down from upstairs with a bulging backpack strapped behind him. [It looks like you're about to stay more than one night.] I signed playfully. Sasuke huffed and adjusted his backpack. I shook my head. The boy was getting more and more of his edgy attitude the older he grew.

As the boys went to go put on their shoes, Rin stepped besides me. "Did Obito come visit you recently?" She asked quietly for only me to hear.

I thought for a moment. [Not this week, though I did ask Kakashi to bring him over tomorrow to help.] With Sasuke's attention diverted, it wasn't hard for me to talk about the surprise openly.

Rin's expression saddened for a moment, though it happened so quick I could say I imagined it. "Oh, ok. Good luck with everything. Cant wait to see the final result." She whispered playfully before escorting the boys to the Hokage's home.

Itachi, Mother, and I watched them leave with happy waves of our arms before I turned sharply on my heal and excitedly brought out the decor Mother bought on my request over the past few days. There were red balloons to match the color of Sasuke's favorite vegetable, and strings to wrap around the banister and stair rails. There were little happy birthday posters to hang on the walls, and with Mothers talent with making anything and everything turn pretty, it'd be really festive and elegant. I didn't want to go all out too much after all. I was able to request Minato to help send out invitations to any other kids Naruto might be close enough to bring along and I haven't heard just how many guests had accepted, but even without too many acceptances, I knew it'd be a great day nonetheless.