Aftermath

Chaos. That was the only way I could describe Konoha when we were finally able to leave the shelters. Houses and shops were demolished in all areas of the village and the people despaired. Many Shinobi and civilians died and my mother was among those who were critically injured. I wasn't able to attain any information on just how mother had been injured, other than that she suffered from a punctured lung and an amputated pinky on her left hand. She was left bedridden for weeks as Father refused to keep her in the hospital. What with the kidnapping and bombing happening one after another, there was not much the medics could do to change Fathers mind about keeping her there. Instead, a Uchiha medic-nin was paid to attend to mother privately at home. Along with how Konoha was placed on lockdown and refused to send any Shinobi out of the village, it gave both Itachi and I the benefit of staying by her side at all times.

Itachi's graduation, in the midst of the attack, was a muted affair. They took their tests, received their headbands, assigned their senseis, and was well on their way in their shinobi career. There was no celebration.

"You will take leave, Itachi, and stay with me to work in the Uchiha Police Force." Father said when we were all sat for breakfast; mother was still bedridden as it had only been a few days after the attack and it wasn't nearly enough time for anyone to heal from it. Sometimes it felt as if the suffocating chakra of the Kyuubi still hung in the air.

To my surprise, Itachi resisted as he kept his eye on bottle feeding Sasuke, who happily drank in his lap. "Do you believe that is a good idea?" He asked.

A deep sigh passed Father's lips and his face was lined with barely hidden stress. "We were isolated and you're mother had been attacked. Nearly killed. Do you believe I can trust the village right now?"

"If the Uchiha are being targeted, it's only better for me to stay within active duty."

I gripped Itachi's arm in warning. Father sent him a narrow glare in turn. "I will not use you as bait." He gritted out.

"I won't be more of a bait than a spy, Father."

His words struck me for a moment. I didn't think Itachi had ever requested to act as a spy for anyone in the series I remembered. His father of that story, Fugaku, ordered him to spy on the village and the Hokage ordered him to spy on the clan. He had been a spy to the Akatsuki as well, though I doubted that had been free will as he was, once again, forced to leave the village. However, right now, this was voluntary, and it made a big difference to me on how much things changed for the better for my Itachi.

Father had reluctance written all over his face as the two of them locked eyes. Their little battle ended with another sigh from Father, who merely picked up his chopsticks to finish his breakfast. Itachi got his wish. He turned to me with his small smile and gentle eyes and took the hand I had grabbed him with into his own free one. There was nothing for me to say that would stop him from putting himsel at risk. For all that was Itachi, stubborn made up a majority of him.
.
.
.
During my second meeting with It, they were able to instruct me on how to enter my mindscape by way of two long hours of solid, uninterrupted meditation. I usually did this at night where I layed on my bed and feigned sleep. Seeing as how Itachi hadn't confronted me so far, I took it as a success that he didn't notice.

Through this, It had finally been able to teach me about my powers. All those strange instances when my body would act on its own became clear. "These powers are something at your disposal because I am now apart of you. Most Shinobi need to channel their chakra in order to perform 'jutsus', as they call it, mostly as a way to ensure that they use only a specified amount of chakra. However, you do not have those inhibitions. You can freelly manipulate your chakra without any channeling and be able to control the four elements as if they were apart of you as well." It's half human and half beast tone remained the same as ever.