Chapter 31 ~ Shadows and Buildings

Startled, my head snaps up to see who had burst through the door. To my relief it is a familiar face.

I barely even recognize him before he's grabbed my hand, pulled me up, and begins running to the nearest building. Stunned, I stumble a little bit but he keeps running.

Once we're behind the building hidden in a shadow he lets go of me.

"Dani—" I'm cut off by Daniels hand covering my mouth. I can see the alarm in his eyes now that he's closer. He looks away from me and around the corner to the door we just collided at. I follow his line of sight and see a man standing just outside the door. It's hard to see in the dark but it is definitely not Jack.

He looks around for a few moments I assume trying to decide which way Daniel had gone and then begins to walk cautiously to the right. He walks close to the building and continues looking around quietly. As he steps closer to a streetlight I get a better look at him.

He's scruffy looking, probably due to his three-four inch beard. His body seems fit and he looks as if he's in his late forties. He seems... oddly... familiar almost.

A chill runs down my spine.

My dad.

I suddenly feel extremely light headed and have to remind myself to breathe. He looks so different. He never had a beard before. He was never super muscular. He wasn't fat, but he definitely was not the man over there.

It scares me.

When he's finally out of sight Daniel speaks in a whisper, "What are you doing here? You can't be here! You need—"

"Daniel! Stop. I'm here and I'm not going back." I say surprised that my voice doesn't sound as vulnerable as I feel.

"No you need to—"

"No!" I cut him off, "I'm not going back! Now tell me what's happening"

Daniel seems to give up on his attempt to make me to leave, and sighs. I notice his eye has some slight swelling, he has a busted lip, and it looks like maybe his nose was bleeding.

"That man..." he looks at me as if he's trying to analyze how I'll react, "your... dad..." I've come to the realization and I don't really want to dwell on that detail. "he's the one who's been threatening you."

He stops, watching me and waiting for a reaction. Although I never would have guessed it was him, after the call with my mom, it all makes sense.

"Where's Jack?" I ask. I'm trying to stay optimistic but I'm absolutely petrified of the answer.

Daniel looks away from me, "He's still inside." He whispers so quietly I can hardly hear him.

I stay silent waiting for more information. He finally looks at me again understanding my silence.

"Your dad wanted you." He speaks again quietly. "When he saw us instead he was angry. He came at me first but he's so strong," he runs a hand through his hair visibly stressed. "I ended up on the ground. I think something hit my head because I got really dizzy. The next thing I know Jack is on the floor next to me, knocked out."

"Eventually Jack woke back up. Your dad was gone. We were trying to find a way out when your dad came back. We split up and then I found that door." He says glancing over at the door he came out of.

"So, Jack is still in there?" I ask trying to keep myself together and not have a mental breakdown right then and there.

"I don't know" Daniel says impatiently. "We split up." He starts pacing near me in the darkness mumbling something about a plan.

"We can't leave without Jack" he finally says barely audibly. I nod in agreement.

"I guess we can start by circling around the building." I finally speak. Daniel nods slightly also unsure of what to do.

He begins to walk cautiously out from behind our building we've taken refuge behind. I follow him and soon we're next to the original building.

We begin walking slowly around the building, aware my dad was just around here. We've almost reached the end of the first side when Daniel stops fast causing me to walk into his back.  I regain my stance and glance around him.

There in front of us is a truck. Engine running.

•••
Lol it's been a while. Sorry😘😘
Also I'm aware that every time I upload I've changed the way I write and use different words lol😂 that's probably annoying but it's fan-fiction so🤷‍♀️ oh well sorry😭
Love u💜
comment bc I like interaction lmao