Chapter 33 ~ ding

• • •

It had been at least fifteen minutes since we had left Daniel. The ride wasn't bumpy at first but as it went on it gradually grew bumpier and bumpier. I kept myself huddled in the fetal position in the corner of the truck with my head down, hoping to stay out of sight.

As more and more time goes by I pull my phone out of my pocket, keeping it close to me while I turn it on and lower the brightness all the way down. I quickly find Daniel's name in my contacts and share my location with him.

At least someone will know where we are.

As the ride gets even bumpier I hold onto my phone tighter, my knuckles and tips of my fingers turning white.

ding ding

I freeze as I very loudly receive a message from my mom.

ding ding

ding din—

I snap out of my trance and shut off my sound. Of course I forgot to shut my sound off.

As soon as I've shut the sound off I stay completely still in an attempt to see if Cory has heard anything. When I feel the truck come to a stop a higher sense of fear washes over me.

He knows. He knows. He knows I'm here. He kno—

My thoughts come to a halt when I hear the driver door close loudly. I close my eyes and suck in a breath in anticipation of what will happen next but open them again when I hear the door to the back seat open.

I soon hear grunts coming from Cory, most likely a result of him picking up the passed out Jack Avery in the back seat. That's a bit relieving, that he's hasn't realized my being here.

Thank God it's dark.

As Cory walks off carrying Jack, I realize I need a plan. What am I even doing here? I can't even take care of myself. How am I supposed to help Jack?

I begin to think about all the times Jack had helped me. He was there for me so many times even when I didn't ask. He's never really stopped being there for me. He's been there for the boys and his family no matter what. He's been so kind and such a breath of fresh air. It's time to do my part. It's my turn to help him.

I swallow my fear and begin to quietly crawl out of the truck bed. As my feet hit the ground, I see the small house Cory's car is parked in front of. The grey paint on the house seems to be coming off giving it a broken down rustic look. The grass all around the house is long and there's overgrown bushes around the house. There's another house about 200-300 feet away as well as a streetlight near the house. Other than those two things, the house I'm currently just outside is the only one around.

I begin to walk closer to the house, avoiding leaves and sticks that would make a noises. The gravel drive way really isn't helping in the noise department. As I get closer, I make out a dim light coming through one of the two windows in the front of the house.

I continue to inch closer, the dimly lit window becoming my destination for now. I reach out to pull some branches blocking the window away and attempt to peak through. It is difficult since there's a set of mini-blinds but, like the house, they're also a bit broken and I can see through them for the most part.

I can barely make out Jack lying on the ground, seemingly still passed out. I look for any sign of Cory but I can't seem to find him. It's probably because I can only see a portion of the room. I pull my thoughts together and decide I need to call someone. Anyone. Maybe Daniel, or my mom, or the police, just someone. I pull away from the window and pull out my phone, unlocking it and scrolling through my contacts. I decide 911 would probably be the best choice considering Cory literally kidnapped and

Smack

• • •

Life gives you lemons. It sure does. I would know. I guess the "making lemonade" part is getting easier with Jack around though. Every time I'm with him, I feel this— this indescribable feeling in my chest. It feels almost like, my heart is throwing up sparkles. Wow. Very cheesy. Very cringy. I can't help it. It's how I feel. I have no idea how Jack feels. I mean he's treated me so sweetly so he could feel the same. He could just feel bad for me though... wait... Jack...

I become painfully aware of a pounding headache just before I sit up, my eyes stretching open wide. Before I make a noise I'd probably regret later, I feel a hand on my mouth.

"Shhh, shhhh, it's me." Jack says loosening his grip on my mouth.

Before he can fully retract his hand I've thrown my body onto his engulfing him in the biggest hug I could give him. He hugs me back almost immediately and I feel my heart do that thing... the throwing up thing... with the sparkles. Gosh dang that feels amazing.

I don't know exactly what the hug was. Was it me being thankful for Jack being alive? Me being thrilled I'm not alone? Maybe I just missed him? No matter what it was a good hug.

After a moment I pull back, his arms still around me.

"Jack," I whisper "Jack, oh my gosh Jack. I'm so sorry, I'm so—"

"Hey, hey," he whispers back cutting me off from spewing a billion words we didn't have time for. "It's okay. It's not your fault, okay?" He speaks moving his hands to cup my face. "Listen, we've gotta get out of here okay? I have a plan but—"

Bang

"Wellll, how nice of you to join us, y/n." The man who I wish was not my father says with a sick smile on his face as he barges into the room.

• • •

A/n
Wowwww well would you look at that!! I updated haha. This literally took me like three hours but it's finally done so ayyy. I'm thinking there will probably only be one more chapter and then this will be ⚡︎ D O N E ⚡︎

Also I changed the cover for this bc I felt like it lol I might change the name when I finish it but idk yet🌝
The beginning of this fic is rly bad and I might go back and edit it but it's going to take so long bc it's like the first 15 chapters and I realllyyy don't want to do it but I might idk🤷‍♀️