Chapter 8

So far no one had questioned the random girl I'd brought into the Pack House. It wasn't like I advertised that I was looking for my mate. I told Luna I would get her whatever she wanted, if it was her favorite dinner, so I did. We sat on the futon in my 'apartment' living room eating teriyaki chicken and rice with shrimp sauce. I was surprised at her liking of Japanese food as it was my second favorite next to spaghetti. The tv was on but neither of us were watching it. She was one of those girls who talked with her mouth full not caring, and still looked pretty. She wasn't afraid to try new things, but she also was a closed book, in the one day I've known her and not through a vision, she seemed like she didn't have a close enough friend to tell things to. 

"Um, blue or maybe green. I like soft colors." she said. "Punk rock mostly, All Time Low, Fall Out Boy, Panic!, We the Kings,  stuff like that. You?" she answered my question.

"Same about the music, but my favorite color is gold and purple." I told her. 

"Purple is your favorite color?" 

"Yeah, but like light purple, you know?"  She scooped up some rice on her plastic fork, she was nodding absentmindedly. I took a sip of my water. "So, um. What happened?"

"What do you mean?" I could tell she was just buying herself time, as she looked anywhere but me.

"You said earlier in the kitchen that you'd had a depressing couple months, and before that you mentioned you hadn't been to school in a awhile." I leaned into her, tucking a piece of hair behind her ears. 

"For one, what did you do for your birthday?"  I started to protest but she moved her Styrofoam box away and held up a hand. "Just tell me. The whole story."

I thought back three weeks ago. It wasn't that long but I needed to think my words through. 
"My parents through a big party. Sixteen, I was officially taking over my dad's Alpha position. I still can't look at him the same since that day. The whole pack welcomed me as the new Alpha, even the Elders were there, my mom baked this huge cake,  and I spent the whole day talking to relatives and the next day was full of paperwork." I looked over at her, I could only see the side of her face but she was looking at the ceiling and a single tear fell down her face. "What did I say? What's wrong?"

"This was the first birthday I spent without my parents."  

"What do you mean?" she started to cry for real, and I didn't know what to do.

"Then you started talking about how you could tell me who my birth parents were, and it cheered me up. As you can probably tell I don't ever let anyone in my bubble." I laugh.

"You let me in." she started to protest 'no I-" but my lips cut her off. Mine on hers, and to my surprise, she kissed me back.

"Why do you keep doing that?" her lips were so close that when they moved they tickled mine.  

"What?" I opened my eyes but hers were closed, her face looked pained and tears continued to fall. 

"Giving me reasons to believe all the crazy things you say are true."  I took her face in my hands.

"This life can't be real," I said. "this stuff only happens in books." her eyes opened "But usually one of us dies in the end. Love hurts" I shrug and smile at her.

"Well aren't you a ray of sunshine." she laughs. "I'm sorry, it's just Kaleb doesn't want to talk about it and Suki will cry at the mention of my dad." 

"So how are you related to them?"

"They're my cousins.  The only people to take me in too." She stabbed a piece of chicken and it lingered for a minute before she ate it. "My parents were hiking and a hunter accidently shot them, but by the time they were found they had bled out. But all this werewolf stuff is making me wonder if they were in wolf form when they were shot." her face was blank staring at the tv.  

"What was her name? Your mom I mean." 

"Ailen Rivera, my dads was Mika Rivera, and his brother is Elan, Kaleb and Suki's dad. But you can tell, they were raised like you. I was raised normal."  

We sat in silence watching a movie that had come on, but by the end I didn't even begin to grasp the plot. My mind was elsewhere.  Somewhere between the middle and a third of the way in Luna had fallen asleep. 

"Hey," I shook her lightly "do you want a t-shirt to sleep in?"

"Huh?"

"Those jeans don't look like they're comfortable to sleep in." I grabbed our empty foam boxes and threw them away. I walked into my room, the clock said two in the morning. I looked through all of the shirts hanging in my closet, and found the biggest one. It was an extra large plain black t-shirt from when the shed was running our of shirts one time. I walked through the kitchen and into the living room. Luna had made herself comfortable curled up in a ball on the small futon. Her hair was fanned out on the seat and her face was relaxed and beautiful.  I walked closer then kneeled down next to her. "Here's a shirt." her eyes just barely opened and I couldn't tell if she was actually awake or not. I took another look at the tiny futon, I couldn't let her sleep there! But the only real bed was mine, and there wasn't one in the second room.  I carefully picked her up and carried her to my room.  I set her on my bed and tried again. "Hey here's a shirt for you." she was in the half awake half asleep phase but she took the shirt. I went over the other side of the bed to turn off the lamp, I looked up a second before the light flicked out and saw the strap of her white bra across her back. Went the light was out I could see her silhouette slide on the black t-shirt. when I walked around the bed to go back into the living room I noticed her jeans on the ground and it distracted me.  I must've left my boots thrown on the floor because I tripped, but caught the bed post before I fell. Smooth. I told myself as I grabbed a spare blanket from the bottom of my closet and went to sleep on the couch.