Chapter 14

Friday

Suki had gone home last night but Kaleb stayed so he could sneak us out. Together we had two suitcases, each full with clothes, necessities, and in Luna's purse a wad of cash. We were headed to a little island near Charleston. My parents had a house down there that they rented out, and I had permission to use it.  We woke early but didn't leave until the afternoon. We all sneaked out the lesser known side entrance, where a taxi was waiting. 

"Kaleb!" Luna slapped his arm. "We, are, fine!" 

"I promise we'll call you lots! We will back no later than Sunday, unless there are more attacks, then we'll have to figure something out." Kaleb said some quick goodbyes and whispered something in Luna's ear. She frowned and looked angry.

"What was that about?" I ask as we get in the car.

"Nothing he's just worried." 

Luna fell asleep on my shoulder an hour into the ride, it wasn't that long considering we lived about three hours away from the island house. She woke up when we passed over the bridge. She watched as the boats in the water passed by and you could smell the ocean, fish, salt, and sand.  

"Wow. I've never been to the beach did you know that?" 

"No you never told me. You like it?" I leaned over looking out her window with her. A voice came from the front seat, our chauffeur.

"So what are you too newly weds going to do? I have some restaurant suggestions if you like."

"Oh we aren't."

"No we aren't, we're just,"

"We're sixteen, sir."

"Oh no sir is my father! He looked through his window to us, we were now in our seats with our arms folded in our laps."You too are the symbol of young love, it radiates from you! You darling are glowing!"

"No please don't say that." Luna started awkwardly.

"But it's true!" We continued on with our trip while chatting about random things. The ride was over in twenty minutes. 

The driver was nice but he made Luna uncomfortable, I don't think she's used to us, and not just her and me. We had arrived at the large white house that sat with a row of houses, and you could smell the ocean, it was that close. We each had a bag in hand as we walked up the front steps. I took the keys from my pocket and unlocked the peeling painted door. Luna gasped as we walked in and I smiled.

"Your family owns this?" 

"Yeah, you like it?" 

"How could I not?" She set her bag down to investigate, I picked it up and set both of our bags in the living room.  "Look at this kitchen!" 

"You are very enthusiastic about kitchens. I thought you couldn't cook."

"I can't, well I can cook my moms recipes but this kitchen is amazing!" The stove was new, the refrigerator was a two sider, and the sink had a pull out sprayer. The cabinets were dark, the counter was white, and the floor was hardwood. She walked through the dining room and living room, and to the downstairs bedroom door. I unlocked it with my key, and opened it.

"Who's is this?"  The room was a light blue with a bed that had toddler rails. There were teddy bears lining the bay window and baby dolls sitting in a basket by the bed. I walked over to the vanity where a small picture had been placed. I picked up the small square black and white ultrasound picture, then sat on the bed. I held out my arm for Luna to sit next to me. She walked over slowly and confused. I handed her the flimsy paper.