Chapter 25

I wasn't sure what time it was but I knew it was early, the sun had risen and Luna had calmed just enough to speak. I remembered her dreams, the ones that always poofed into my head like we were dreaming together except in a divided parallel. My only theory to her uneasiness was wolf's bane and  Colton, she would probably have hallucinations for a while. I had helped her up stairs and into my apartment, where we both sat on the futon.  I had my arm around her, patting her back as she rocked and sobbed. I wouldn't force her to talk, I didn't know what it felt like to be trapped in your own body as someone forced you to kill.  So I sat, and after a while I lay down, she was sitting on my feet. I stared at the ceiling. What can I do? What should I do?  Why is this happening?  So many unanswered questions popped into my head at once.  Soon I lay in an unnerving silence, Luna had stopped, but now she stare at the ceiling as I am. Time got fuzzy and I had lost track of the hours that past, I slept but not very well. There was nothing else to do, I couldn't comfort Luna, not really. Because nothing could comfort that kind of maddness, I could lie and say everything would be okay, but I knew I couldn't promise such a thing. No matter how hard I tried to make everything alright, I couldn't promise something I didn't know would happen.

I wake with Luna by my side, she held one of my hands with both of hers. I looked over and stared at her. You know how people look different when they slept? Peaceful. Relaxed. Some people smiled in their sleep, some people talked or walked, some people but not Luna. She looked even more beautiful, her hair was a mess of curls and tangles, her mouth formed a straight line in no emotion, but her eyes fluttered like she was still dreaming. I hoped she was dreaming. I hadn't had any more of our connected dreams after we came up stairs last night, so I didn't really know. I slid off of the futon careful not to wake her, and walked into the her room and bundled up her blankets in my hands. I wobbled back to the futon and cautiously set them over her. I took a step back to admire her, then turned to the kitchen. The clock said it was a little after one in the afternoon.  

On a scale of 1 to a hurricane, how bad is everyone freaking out? I asked Brady. 

Luna freaked a bunch of them out last night.....  he said cautiously. 

It's not her fault. 

Oh and we can't go out the front, considering she covered your office door and the front door in wolf's bane. He sounded a bit annoyed.

What are we going to do? 

You're the Alpha, remember? What was up with him?

And you're my second in command, would you like to be replaced? no answer I didn't think so.  I told him to come up to my room so we could at least sketch out a plan. 

He knocked once on the door then flung it open loudly. Seriously? Let her sleep. I told him. We stood whispering in the kitchen,  while Luna slept just feet away. 

"Sorry, I just-" Brady tried but I cut him off, holding up my hand. 

"It's okay, it's not your job. I know."  I told him all I knew about the hotel, Colton, The Canis Warriors, and anything else I could think of that could help us create a solution and make a plan. 

◐☾◑

Luna sat and stared at the back of the futon, listening in on Neal and Brady.  Her hearing had changed since turning and she could hear everything. It wasn't normal, and she didn't particularly like it. She could hear the boys talking, plates clanging down stairs, televisions in the rooms below, more talking.... It was getting on her nerves. She tried to signal in on only the talking in the room she was in. She felt like a freak, no one would want a trouble maker like her to be their Luna, there was no way! And that's when she caught herself, was she thinking about being a Luna? Was she thinking about  her future? She never did that. She tried not to ever get her hopes up too much, but Neal was confident in everything he did. His charm was his best trait, and any girl would be swooning over him. But she wasn't just any girl, she was Luna Rivera. Adopted when she was a baby, shy in school, clumsy, not the best looking, awkward.... She could keep going, naming all the things that she thought made her a freak. But there had to be some reason Neal was all about her, maybe those were the things he liked, just like she liked his charm or that he tried too hard most of the time. A smile crept onto her face. He really did want to help, didn't he? 'Look at all the things he's done for me.' she thought, 'and I can't just cooperate, can I?' She wanted so badly to jump up and give him a hug and say how thankful she was but the other half of her wasn't ready. 'there's always something in the way, isn't there?' she thought. She turned over, to just look at him. He glanced over, his eyes looked excited. She held up his index finger while he walked over.