Chapter 13

Monday. 

Kaleb dropped Luna off at one of the many Garnett Oaks entrances. He spoke few words but I could tell he was starting to ease up on his brotherly instincts. We sat in the free field close to the lake. A dark blanket lay under us. Today I'd promised a lesson in culture. 

"So the Elders are supposed to be guides?" she asked.

"Yeah, more like genies if you ask me. You never get direct answers." 

"Tell me about it."  After the Elders was gifts, and special abilities.

"So, you don't have any 'powers' I should know about, do you?" she was laying down her body facing me. She was wearing a light blue sweater, and a white skirt, she had kicked off her boots and her daisy chain was still perfect in her hair. Her feet were pulling up and down on her long white socks that stopped right under her knee. She closed her eyes for a minute, and lay flat.  

"No but it looks like you do." her eyes opened, electric blue. She looked around as if someone would show up and hear.

"We shouldn't talk about it."  I nodded and went on with our lesson. Different kinds of gifts, if you had them you had an open spot to become an Elder, how the rest of the pack would respect those wiser and greater.  While we had moved on to the pack I'd thought I should start with a lesson on the researvation. 

"Not everyone who lives in the reservation, and this isn't just for mine, Is apart of the pack."

"What do you mean?"

"Well everyone is in this pack but not everyone participates. Its mostly singles or groups, the men of a household, sometimes even women. But they usually stay home with the pups."  

Tuesday.

 By the time Luna was able to come over, it was late. Yesterday I ate dinner with her at Kaleb's house, so today she came over to mine. After we ate we sat in my office to study. We rearranged my furniture to have more space on the floor, and to be honest I thought I'd keep it that way. It looked nice.  Today was history per-say. I tought her about the legends that were told at campfires, traditions that were key to follow. Though she knew almost all of them because she celebrated with her parents, but some were new to her.

"My mom actually celebrated that. I had just thought it was some weird family version of Valentines day., but gramma would say they had always celebrated Lupercalia."

"Do you know what it actually is?"

"No. Not really, all we did was go to my gramma's and everyone would be really mushy and make me want to gag. Then we'd have a Valentine's day themed dinner and I would go over to a friends." If you know what I mean. I smirked.

"My parents are the same," I laughed "That will be our first lesson for today then." I smiled and she had her notebook out. She had told me she liked to take notes so she didn't forget. "Lupercalia is on Feburary thirteenth and usually lasts untill the fifteenth. There are a couple different meanings for Lupercalia, it's a holiday for health, cleansing, and mating." Luna's cheeks got red, so mine did too and the air got awkward. She wrote the three words quickly in loopy letters. Her eye brow raised in question and suddenly it hit me.  Lupercalia started on friday. 

"You know what?" 

"What?"

"How about we go somewhere on Friday?Away from the pack and..." away from prying eyes. I added in my head. No, I shake my head. And away from all these other couples. I looked around.

"I get what your saying, you don't have to specify." she held up her hand giggling."What  could we do?"

"Anything you want." She was sitting across from me, I leaned in, we were in the moment where our eyes were just locked together, right before a kiss. 'Our second kiss.' I had thought to myself. The air felt heavy and I was relying on my wobbly arms to hold me up. She got closer, if she were talking it would tickle my lips. Her eyes closed with mine. In the dark her hand moved over mine.