Chapter 112

It was a Friday in June, the sun was beating down on Roman's truck as Dean drove it to the local library in town. He felt a mix of apprehension and excitement. Today would hopefully be the day he started paying Roman back for everything he'd been doing. In a small way, of course.

He pulled into the parking lot and parked, taking a deep breath to calm his nerves.

When he walked in, there was a page behind the desk, checking in books. He looked up when Dean approached.

"Hi." He said, a smile on his face. "Can I help you?"

Dean returned his smile. "I hope so. I have a meeting with the director about working here?"

The page nodded. "Okay. One moment please."

"No problem." Dean replied. He put his hands in his pockets, waiting at the desk.

A minute later, an older woman came out from the back, smiling brightly. "You must be Dean." She said, shaking his hand.

Dean grinned and nodded. "Yes, ma'am."

"Come on back." She said. She led him back behind the desk into a set of rooms, one of which was her office. She sat down in her chair and gestured to the seat in front of her.

Dean sat, swallowing nervously.

"So, I read your application." The woman said, pulling out the papers.

He nodded. "I know, this is my first job..."

She smiled reassuringly. "Well, this is a great first place to work. Not too difficult, and you don't come home smelling like fast food every day. Trust me, as good as that sounds, it gets old fast."

Dean chuckled.

"The only downside is, it doesn't pay very much. You would probably be working for minimum wage, then slightly above if you continue. However, we do give you a lot of flexibility. You need days off, or can't work certain shifts, no one will come after you about it.

"You'll work Wednesdays, as your normal shift, and the occasional Saturday. Everything seems to be in order..." She gave the papers one more glance, then straightened them and set them down. "So, what do you say? Do you want the job?"

Dean nodded. "Absolutely. Thank you so much for this. You have no idea how much I needed it."

She beamed at him. Dean was vaguely reminded of Patricia Reigns. "I'll see you Wednesday, then."

"Definitely. Thank you again."

With that, he said goodbye and left, waving to the page as he went.