017.

017, 𝗡𝗔𝗥𝗥𝗔𝗧𝗜𝗩𝗘.

Mackayla parked her car in the parking lot of the airport. She hadn't slept all night, deciding that spending the last moments she could with her best friends was more important than her sleep schedule. The boys were right; nothing was more important than this last moment with them. She'd been on the verge of tears all night, but she hadn't yet cried. That would all change in a little bit, and she knew.

She had swung by Mattia's house before heading over to the airport. When he came out, she realized he either hadn't slept or he barely had. He sat beside Mackayla, looking at her briefly before pulling his seatbelt on. She tossed him a small smile before pulling off.

Mackayla and Mattia entered the airport building. Mackayla had this weird feeling flushing over her. There was a sense of fear within her. She was scared to find out what would happen after Alvaro and Roshaun left New Jersey. They were two significant parts of the friend group.

Mackayla spotted the group of boys first. Alvaro's face lit up when he saw her. He trotted over to her, and she threw her arms around him. "I thought you weren't gonna come," he said into her black hoodie, squeezing her like he never had.

"Nothing could make me miss this. I'm so sorry," she replied into his shoulder. She threw an arm around his shoulder and walked over to the other guys.

"Hey. We missed you," Roshaun hugged her. "This isn't about me, but I'm so sorry, guys," she sniffled, looking around at each of the boys.

"I love you guys. So fucking much," she said. "Save the gayness for later," Mattia responded, causing Mackayla to push him. The rest of the guys laughed, genuine smiles on their faces. Just as Mackayla, they were reminiscing. Every memory they had ever made with each other flushed through their minds.

The group of eight made their way to the food court. They sat down in a large enough booth, looking at each other; not saying anything.

"Where's our loud and obnoxious best friend?" Alvaro asked, turning to the teary-eyed girl. She was completely choked up, and tears threatened to spill from her eyes. "I-I," she began. She swallowed hard, trying to rid herself of the lump in her throat.

"No, for real. Don't be a bitch," Alejandro commented, causing Mackayla to let out a laugh. "I'm trying!" she whined. She took a deep breath, wiping at her eyes.

"Okay. Let's try this again," she began. "I don't know what I'm gonna do without you two."

The air between the group was thick. They all looked so, so sad. Kairi's head hung low. Alejandro's dimples were nowhere in sight; instead, his eyes welled up with tears. Mateo's head was in his hands, hanging low just as Kairi's did. Alvaro and Roshaun tried to continue smiling and putting on this happy persona, but it shortly fell. Francesco was on his phone, trying to distract himself from the sadness in the air. Mattia's hoodie was pulled over his head to hide the tears in his eyes, and Mackayla's head rested on his shoulder.

"You guys will be fine. You'll see us soon, and━" Alvaro stopped mid-sentence to sniffle. "Just... Just know that you guys have been the best friends I could ever ask for, and I thank you for that."