19

Chapter 19: A Taste of Freedom

═════ 🌼 ═════

~(Y/N)~

It had been a week since Levi and I kissed. I was over it at that point and thought nothing of it, or at least tried to. I had to focus on the upcoming meeting in Zesmeira.

At this moment I was standing in the throne room with Kenny and Levi, they both sat in their thrones as they waited for news. Good for them a messenger from Kustea had come delivering a letter.

I was a little nervous thinking Jean might expose my true identity, but since I was no longer engaged I wasn't too nervous. "It seems that Jean has broken the engagement off with the Princess," Kenny says before passing the letter onto Levi.

Levi tensed up at the news and snatched the letter from his hand, he read over the note thoroughly before passing it up, the Prince propped his head on his hand keeping his eyes forward.

I then open the letter and read:

Dear King And Prince of Aubern,

I would like to formally announce that I have broken off my engagement to Princess (Y/N) of Estra. This may or may not concern you in the slightest, I would like to invite you to my royal ball in search of a new bride. I hope you will attend.

Jean

Folding up the letter I hand it back down to Levi, he glances up and takes it from my hands barely sparing me a glance. Levi then turned his head to Kenny and snapped his fingers.

"Yes, sir-

"Kenny, are you going to be able to go to the meeting now?" Levi interrupts. Oh, I guess he wasn't going to need me. I step back and fold my hands together in front of me as I look to the floor a little embarrassed.

"No, you will still go," Kenny says before coughing a bit.

"Tch, fine." he sighs before leaning back in his chair. I could sense the Prince was very frustrated having to go on another long journey after only being home for a week. I knew that I need to make some appearance now that Jean has broken off the engagement. But now that I was free I couldn't bring myself to tell Levi who I really was, let alone leave him.

Levi then turned his gaze up to me. "Sorry brat but you won't be attending me on this," he says. Showing my respect I bow.

"As you wish sir," I mutter. This is perfect, I can easily sneak out of the castle and catch a boat. It then hit me that I would need to hide my face. I can always buy a mask.

When I stood up straight the Prince had a suspicious expression on his face. "You're being awfully obedient today," he mutters.

I stayed quiet and I looked forward. I could see from the corner of my eye I could see a now shocked expression coming from Levi as he stared at me intensely. For the rest of the day the room was silent.

By the afternoon I had followed Levi out to the courtyard. I stood there as he looked down at the small pond. To be exact I was standing behind the bench. Suddenly he looked up and back at me. "You're being awfully quiet today.... Are you upset you can't attend the meeting with me? I expected you to argue with me about that." Levi says.

"No sir, I'm not upset, in fact, I'm quite relieved," I answer. His expression turned to shock again soon turning to hurt by my honesty.

"I see... and how would you feel if I changed my mind and wanted you to come with me?" he asks.