chapter xvii

1 WEEK LATER
~ANAYSIA~

" Girl, you been hanging with Jace a lot...." Roxanne says to me as we walk down the hallway.

" It's because we partners for a project in English. That's it."

" Are you sure? Because y'all look mighty comfortable around each other..."Roxanne says looking like she doesn't believe me.

" You really something else Roxanne.." Just then Jace walks up, smiling at me.

" How's it going Roxy?" Jace says to Roxanne.

" I'm doing good, thanks for asking..."

"That's good...can me and Anaysia have a minute?"

" By any means. Anaysia I'll see you at lunch girl..." Roxanne turns laughing.

"She's crazy.....Anyway, we might have to reschedule for the project. I gotta go to practice, lift, and then watch film."

" You gotta do that for what?"

" It's apart of being an athlete. That's my job."

I roll my eyes and walk to lunch.

" Hey, being for real... I swear, Imma try to not to miss." He makes a funny face, trying to make me laugh.

"You're really not funny.."

" Damn, at least give me some for trying. "

I laugh and we walk to lunch together. As I enter the lunch room, I see Ronnie walking into his class. We both make eye contact, and I smile. He doesn't return a smile.

|RONNIE|

" Alright fellas, that was great practice. If we keep this same intensity throughout the season, we will get win that championship. Now get outta here, and remember to take notes on film."

Everyone walks out of the gym. I put up a few more shots for 20 minutes. I see Jace walk in the gym. He sees me put up shots.

" That one would've went in if you had your elbow in." he says. I ignore him and go run to the ball.

"What's your problem man? You the chillest one outta your homeboys."

I walk toward him, with my hands in a ball.

" There ain't no problem man. Don't let it be one either. We teammates. You can make me look good and vice versa."

He chuckles and looks down at me.

"I don't need anyone to make me look good. You got it all twisted."

" Play me one on one then..."

" Are you sure you wanna do that?"

"  I ain't afraid of yo ass...."

Jace and I play for a long time. We were only playing to 21. We were neck and neck most of the time, but then I drill a 3 to end the game.

" Nigga, I wasn't even going 60 percent." Jace says putting on his sweats.

" Don't make up excuses..." I say, standing at the door, ready to leave.