chapter xxxv

JANUARY 1998
~ANAYSIA~

I've made it to a new year. I'm one step closer to starting my career. I hang up some of the New Year photos that I took with friends in my room.

Roxanne spent her Christmas and New Year's with some family up north, so I haven't seen her much

Roxanne spent her Christmas and New Year's with some family up north, so I haven't seen her much. It was the same deal with Jace. I haven't seen him since the those couple days before Christmas. However, he did send me letters which lets me know I'm on his mind. I told him that it's only me at the house today since everyone has work. We start school back up tomorrow. I hear a knock on the door and run to see who it must be. I see Jace with a smile and his hands behind his back.

" What's behind you?!" I ask, peeking behind him. He moves  and positions himself to hover over me.

" Come give me a kiss.." he says leaning in. Our lips touch and hold in that very position for a minute until I unlock.

"Is that better?" I ask him. He nods and let him in the house. He reveals what's behind his back, which is a gift that's neatly wrapped. I look at him and then at the box.

"Well, aren't you gonna take it? It's all yours from yours truly.." he says. I unravel the wrapping and see what's inside. It's silver plated necklace with our initials craved inside. I stare at him in awe and give him the biggest hug. He lifts me up and celebrates with me. He puts it on for me and grins.

" Now my girl is looking fly like me...I got the same thing." he says showing me his chain. I run up to my room to give him his gift. I decided to be creative and create a photo book of all of our memories. He tackles me on the couch. I can see the happiness flowing within him as he plays around with me.

" Words can't really define what we got Anasyia."

"Agreed. Words aren't even good enough."

Jace grips my thighs and creeps over to my weak spot. He stare at him with daring eyes. He looks at me up and down, biting his lips. He knows what I want and I know what he wants. It's what we need at this point.

" You wanna start this year our with a bang?" he asks, slowly massaging me with his huge hands.

I reply to him by wrapping my legs around him and practically giving my all in every kiss we share. It almost felt like I was going to make love again, but I wasn't sure. It's a question that pops up the entire time.

JASON

I'm surprised. As a matter of fact. My life is full of surprises. It's hard for my to believe I even made it to a new year. I could think of a million other people that should be in my spot right now. People who did nothing but great deeds. I've been back to the studio, working on some tracks with some major artists.

 I've been back to the studio, working on some tracks with some major artists

I'm 20 days sober. That may not sound like something,but it's a big deal to me. I'm really just focused now on continuing my craft and trying to keep my scholarship. It's been real tough,but I know God has a plan for me. I'm leaving let year behind me. Being in the streets making dough isn't for me. I'm better off working at Taco Bell or something. If being in the streets means spending. Christmas in a hospital, then fuck it. I haven't really spoken to Ronnie. He practically saved me from dying, despite how I was treating him before. It's been fucking with my mind lately too. I don't know if he'll really wanna rekindle after that. Anyway,I head out to get a suit for Orlando's funeral service. His death has me shook, but I'm slowly getting over it. That's what thugs do anyway, right?

|RONNIE|

My life has changed. Me as a person has changed also. I'm viewing things in a timely manner now. I pretty much saw my best friend almost die in front of me while another close friend did die.

I'm focused on getting that scholarship, just like my father wants me too

I'm focused on getting that scholarship, just like my father wants me too. I've gotten myself involved in bible study at my aunt's church so I can keep intact with the Lord more. I've also made things right with Shantell. I told her the truth about how I was feeling about Anasyia, and she understood where I was coming from. I plan to keep things A1 with her, learning from mistakes in the past. Troop got arrested for drug trafficking in the area, and has like up to 2 years. That's take a load off of me. By then, I'll be out of South Central. At this time, I'm preparing myself for Orlando's service. It's been a tough pill to swallow for me to see him go, but it's just the life goes.

3 HOURS LATER

The service was basically over. 6 guys carried Orlando's casket out to the funeral car. His burial service was later, and I didn't know if I was ready to see all that. I was barely prepared for this funeral. I step outside and get some fresh air. Jason walks toward me with his head down.

" What's up?"

"Nothing much....how you handling things J?"

" Tryna maintain everything. Life's been coming at me.."

"At least it didn't end.."

"Yeah, I'm grateful for that. Look, I ain't never got the chance to say how guilty I am of turning you away...I was so into getting the money that I'd let something real go. Our brotherhood is too strong for that." Jason explains. I can tell he's hurt by his tendency to look down for a while.

" I forgive you. That's the only way to do it."

"Dang...ian think you were going to let me slide off easy."

"Say....why don't you come to bible study on a Wednesday?It'll benefit you a lot." He nods and we both wait for cabs. I head to the gym to get some shots up for a couple of hours. After that, I prepare for prom, which is in the next couple of weeks. Shantell goes with me since she's my date. We gotta dress to impress together.