chapter xxxix

ANASYIA

I take D'Angelo with me and we go to my mother's house. We go inside and see my mother in the kitchen.

"Hey kids! You came just in time tonight!" she says smiling. I walk and give her a hug and bring D'Angelo with me.

" D'Angelo, do you remember me?" my mom says, taking off her gloves. He nods his head no, and she bends down to his level.

" Well, I'm your mother. The last time we seen each other was a long time ago..." she says. I watch them as they interact for the first time in a long time.

" Mom, I'll help you in here!" I say washing my hands.

" That'll be great! D'Angelo, do you like watching action movies!"

"Yeah, I think they're cool!" he says.

"Why don't you follow me then..." Joe says to him. I was shock to see him even speak to us. I didn't think he would even care for us being here.

After we finish cooking, a few more people come over to the house. Mom tells me tonight is family night, where we cook food and go outside and chill, or even play games like Spades or Charades. It sounds pretty fun, so I'm prepared for what tonight has in store.
D'Angelo, my mother, and I all take a picture. This one is for memories.

On the way to the other house, I think about the idea of moving in with my mother

On the way to the other house, I think about the idea of moving in with my mother. I mean, the house has like 8 rooms. However, I'm not too sure about moving to San Diego. I decide to ask D'Angelo about his thoughts of mom.

" Do you like it there?"

" yeah, it's pretty cool. They got their own movie theater!!"

" That's cool. What do you think about mom's new husband?"

" To be honest, he looks like one of my teachers from school.. and he's really nice and knows a lot about action figures and superhero's...."

" All the stuff you like huh?" I ask laughing at his remark.

" Yeah..... but why did mom want a white man?"

" I don't think it's because of his skin color D...it's because she found a man who treats her right and gives her what she needs..."

" Did Dad not do that?" he asks.

" Yeah... but that's ok, right? As long as their happy, that's all that matters."

" Do they even like each other?Like friends."

" I'm pretty sure they're cordial because they're our parents."

" D'Angelo, learn from other mistakes, ok? So when you get in certain situations, you'll know what not to do." I say to him.

He nods and we head to an ice cream joint before heading home.

|RONNIE|

" We have our first playoff game tomorrow against Saint John's. I have a starting line up that I will play tomorrow.." our coach says we sit in the lift room.

" Our starting five will be: Frank, Josiah, Jace, Ronnie, and Javier." We all nod our heads and listen to be rest of the game plan. After that, we continue on with our workout.

" Jason, you already finished with your bench press?"

" Nah man. I ain't doing it. I'm leaving.."

"Why?"

" I probably not even gone play tomorrow. This ain't a good look for me."

" Cmon man, Coach will probably play you...you just not gone start."

" Look, I'm not finna waste my time... I'll see you when I see you..." he says and walks out the room.

" Damn, where's he going now?" Jace says walking up to me.

" He doesn't think he's gonna play tomorrow. All because he's not starting.."

" Ain't nobody's fault but his..didn't nobody tell him to get caught up in the str-"

" Aye man, chill on him. You don't gotta bring that shit up."

" Aye, I was expressing my opinion...stop wiping this man's ass all the time.."

" Whatchu tryna say?"

" I mean just because he hanging back out with you don't mean he ain't plottin... everybody ain't who you think they are.." he says. I chuckle the minute he says this, like I ain't just sleep with Anaysia a week ago. I keep the thought to myself, cause I know something he doesn't.

" Yeah... you right... my focus need to be to this game tomorrow, huh?"

" Nowhere else. I need everyone whose starting to be focused."

" This ain't my first time playing in playoffs."

" But it is your first time playing to get a championship." Jace leaves and goes to workout on something else.

2 hours later, I walk out of the locker room and outside.
I see Anaysia with Jace, all in his arms and shit. He suddenly jets back in the gym, leaving her there. I decide to walk toward her.

" Hey An-"

" Ronnie. It's best if you walk away from me."

" Why?!"

" I have to live with the fact that I cheated on Jace with you. I don't need you near me."

" And you blaming me for what?"

" You leered your way into my house, seducing me and shit."

" Don't act like it wasn't gonna happen... I mean look at the way we was eyeing each other at the prom..."

" Ronnie. I don't have any love for you anymore.."

I stand in shock as those words leave her lips. My heart throbs slowly, trying to understand what even made her say that to me.

" Cmon, you don't mean that?"

" I-"

She stops her sentence as Jace comes back. He smiles and takes her in his arms.

"You good Ron?"

" Ye-yeah....I'm straight."

" Ight..catch you tomorrow...get some sleep!" he says and they both walk to their car.

I head to my crib, replaying the words that left Anaysia's mouth. She can't mean that. I know for a fact that I'm the only person she's made love to. My intuition never lies.