8| New hire

When I push open the glass door to the bookstore, I'm not really sure what to expect. Though Indie texted me, while I was home ditching school, and told me to meet her here at 4 pm, I can't help but feel curious as I step inside this Friday afternoon.

A little bell rings above my head. I turn to the left, my view lands on a line of cash registers, with candy stands out beside of them. I inhale, taking in scents of rustic, slightly musty books... with a hint of coffee.

    I venture down the aisles, I'm near the classic lit section when I hear Indie's soft voice, "Caroline!"

   I turn around, smiling shyly. Indie has a cardboard box resting on her hip and clutched at the top with one hand. "Is it already 4?" She asks, brows raised.

   I nod. Her eyes widen. "I totally lost track of time!" With a laugh, she drops the box. I lean forward and spot the cover of Pride and Prejudice. She watches me in amusement.

I shake my head, remembering why I'm here, "I'm really grateful for the opportunity-"

    "Oh, don't mention it!" Indie cuts me off happily. "I hope you'll be able to help out your mom, and have fun here, too."

"Thanks." Earnestness is thick in my voice. I won't forget what this means to me.

   "Sure." She grins, "Now let me give you the tour!" With a shallow breath, Indie turns and begins weaving down the many aisles of the store. She makes sure to point out her favorite books, from Les Miserables to Anne of Green Gables, Divergent and Red Queen. Oh, and she spends five minutes at the Harry Potter section, alone.

    She's a Hufflepuff, apparently.

     As I take in everything, I feel more and more comfortable. After I've seen it all, Indie explains, "So I'll make sure you don't work on days you're cheering, Your shift will be after school hours, except on saturdays. Some days I will be here, some days I won't."

     "Do I get free reading time?" I ask, half joking, half serious.

    "I'm not going to say no."

    We giggle, at that. It's shocking how at peace I feel, here. Indie seems to love it. That makes me feel like I'll love it, too.

    At some point, we have a seat on the reading couches up front. Indie chats about her favorite stories. She makes me feel very unread.

    It isn't until past-five that our conversation is interrupted. Much to my surprise, Anson bounds inside with a large smile spread across his face. Next to me, Indie frowns.

   "Anson, I totally forgot about our date!"

    Date?

   "I know," he chuckles, scooping her up with a grin. They do a little spin, before she's back on her two feet. Then, he notices me.

   "Caroline? I'm surprised to see you here!"

    I shrug, "Don't be. Indie got me a job, so I'll be around a lot more here."

    Anson's blue eyes are wide, before he smirks at Indie. "You're so thoughtful, Blue." His lips plant a chaste kiss on her cheek.

    In turn, they flush. "I was trying to give her a proper welcome today. I forgot all about the movies," She looks from Anson to me apologetically. "I let time slip by."

   "Don't worry about it." I stand, hands in my pockets.

     I've been here longer than I expected, too. I should probably go.