14| Sleeping together

I open my eyes; the room is dark around Anson's sofa.

     A silent yawn escapes my mouth as I become aware of my surroundings.  The air is still, except for sound of another's breathing that causes my heart to stop.

  My eyes widen in my own realization.

I haven't been sleeping alone.

    I am very still against him. Around us, the air is very still, too.

I don't know how I ended up this way, pressed to his body in sleep. I try to keep my heartbeat from encroaching onto my ribs.

I don't remember resting my hand on his chest.

With numb panic, I slowly move my hand- rising and falling with his breathing- away. I bite my lip, untangling myself further by slowly pulling away from his arms- which have furled around me in the night.

  My heartbeat is heavy in my chest to think about that.

    How long have we been like this- entangled with one another?!

I want to angrily assume this was his doing, but it doesn't feel like it was forced. It feels like one of those accidental occurrences.

That doesn't make me any less mortified...

  Bryce's chiseled face looks peaceful as he snoozes. I know I look the exact opposite. I clasp a hand to my forehead.

    What do I do? Suddenly, his eyelids flutter open beneath my gaze.

    It's his instinct to tighten his grip around me; I lose my breath.

   "Caroline?" His voice is raspy from sleep. It makes my stomach flip over. His irises are nearly lost in the darkness, but I know he's looking at me.

Shit- don't look at me! I feel like I'm melting. Nevertheless, I nod a little too quickly. "It's me." My voice is weak.

    I try not to think about his fingers against my figure as I say, " I fell asleep on accident."

    "Mmm- I gathered that."

    He pushes himself upright, slowly reaching over to the nearby lamp and turning it on. The room we're in is visible now. And so is Bryce.

I notice his shirt is all wrinkled, and it's my fault. I see our school papers still piled on the coffee table. Wasn't it just a second ago that we were working?

    I look at my palms. I can't believe I let this happen!

    I'll never forgive myself, not for the rest of my-

    I feel fingertips on my arm as Bryce lowers his head to my ear.

    "I won't tell anyone."

    "I should go."  I blurt out, "I can't stay here," I push the mortification away so that I can stand.

    Bryce narrows his eyes at my face. "It's almost three a.m." His words are slow.

What?!

It's that late?

"Then I definitely can't stay!" I shake my head, "I can't sleep with you for the rest of the night."

    He makes a face. "I'm holding back the urge to make a that's what she said joke."

    "I'm not in the mood for those jokes, right now." I rub my eyes, making a few paces across the room. Bryce's eyes follow my movement.