16| Drunk assumption

I'm surprised there's not a path worn in my living-room carpet from the repeated act of pacing over the same spot as the sun drops from the sky through the windows.

Ace sits on the couch and watches me in equal parts confusion and worry. I don't blame him. I would be worried too, if the roles were reversed.

I look crazy- but how can I help it?

I'm going to a party with some of the most popular and pretentious in the whole school, and Seth, someone I barely know, is taking me!

After I turn to walk the trail across the floor again, Ace interrupts. "Okay, Enough!" He speaks up. "What's up with you, Caroline?"

Should I tell him? I stop pacing. "Sorry, I'm just nervous. The cheerleaders are doing a thing tonight, and a guy is taking me."

His eyes widen. His back straightens. "What guy?"

I give a nervous laugh. "Someone I met right before you tried to get your ass beaten."

"Oh shut up."

"You're not surprised I'm going to this thing?" I raise a brow at my younger brother.

He shrugs. "Honestly I'm glad. No offense, sis, but you don't usually make friends this quick."

I open my mouth, but he cuts me off, "I'm glad that's changing."

He stands up and steps closer to me. "I know you can't let yourself trust someone else. I know."

"But?" I ask hopefully.

"I didn't have a but." He frowns. "That's it."

I laugh and playfully give his arm a punch. "You're the worst at pep talks, Ace."

He flashes a smile. "Maybe. I don't have time for one, anyways." He points past me, to our window.

I swing around, seeing Seth's car in the drive. My heart stops. This is real. Oh gosh, I didn't think it would feel this real.

"Good luck." Ace says, walking me to the door. "Be safe."

I stand on my tiptoes, hugging him. "I'll be back late. Don't stay up."

"Got it."

A knock sounds from the outside- from our porch. I imagine Seth is nervous, too, and that calms me a little.

******

     Mandi's party has already started when Seth and I pull up in the drive of her home. I see light coming from the large windows across the lawn. I see other cheerleaders filing into the doorway.

    Seth takes a deep breath beside of me. On our drive, we talked about our nerves leading up to this party.

    "Thanks for coming with me." I make sure to say as we stare out of the car windows.

     "It's better than monopoly night." He chuckles to himself.

    I smile. "Monopoly night?"

   "Yeah- it's a family tradition." He shrugs. "My stepmom actually started it."

   "It sounds a heck of a lot better than this." I point to Mandi's house. Seth frowns.

    "If you don't want to go, why are you?"

    Why am I?

    "I guess I feel like I've got something to prove. Besides that the squad is expecting me to go."