11| Library promises

I kind of like the way my hair falls in my face- when I lean over my desk and get lost in my assignments. It's like a golden barrier between me and the rest of the class.

    I'm in that place on Monday morning; I scribble pen on paper in efforts to complete Ms. Graves' newest assignment of boring book work. The clock ticks above the class on the farthest wall from me. I glance up at it, noticing I still have 35 minutes left of first period.

Why is First period always the slowest?

    Around me, other students have already finished their work. Next to me, Bryce taps silently at his phone. His jawline is so sharp, it might as well be steel- clenched shut. His dark brows are furrowed at the screen.

     I feel an instant weight on my chest. Last I saw him was on the impromptu double-date to the movies.

   And that ended well.

At least, for Meghan.

    I roll my eyes without thinking. I have no desire to recall that encounter again. I hope Meghan doesn't either, next time she sees me at cheer practice.

At the front of the classroom , Ms. Graves stands and jolts me awake with a yell. "Students, find a stopping point. I've got a new project to begin."

    Project? I raise a brow.

    "It's a partner-based project. I'll pair up the groups, and then we will go to the library. Quietly," She adds with a knowing glance.

    I hear Anson and Indie talking behind me; they talk like they know they'll be paired. Ms. Graves gets to me, and without any deliberation, she points from me to Bryce. "Partners."

   She moves on to pair Anson and Indie, but my eyes meet Bryce's. I don't know how well I like being paired with him. Either way, I don't have a choice.

     Bryce gives a similar look, and it occurs to me that he might not be too fond of me after the other night, too. We're both silent as we grab our backpacks and file out of the classroom.

    "I wonder what the assignment will be?" I hear Anson ask Indie.

   I wonder, too.

    When our class gets to the library, I'm shocked by its size. It's a huge library- much larger than my old school's. Indie sees the impressed look on my face.

   "I can't believe you've not been in here, yet!"

    Anson and Bryce look at me with curiosity. My face threatens to flush. I wonder how much of a bookworm Indie is?

     "There's a first time for everything." I settle on remarking.

     Nodding, Indie continues inside and over to the sitting-area. Tables and chairs line this open part of the library. I take in every feature of the book-scented room. Ms. Graves waits on the class to find seats.

    I watch Bryce's figure as he saunters over to a nearby table and settles in. I approach slowly, and he wordlessly pulls out a chair for me. I take it, half expecting him to make a sarcastic comment, but he doesn't.

     "Okay!" Ms. Graves whisper-yells over the murmuring room. "Today's project is just a simple poster presentation. We've been studying a lot of Shakespeare, so your task is to make a poster all about a Shakespearean character! I've got a jar of names, each group will draw one. You'll design a poster and rehearse a presentation on the character. Use your time wisely. This will be due sooner rather than later."