November***Part 4

"That algebra quiz was insane! That last question, I really don't think there was a solution." Groaning in agreement with Archer's assessment, I'm shoving books into my already busting backpack. I totally failed that test. "I think you've got company," he changes the subject, tilting his chin to direct my attention. In my locker mirror, I see a pacing Rucci behind me. "Check ya later."

"Dazed and Confused" was a great movie but, for real, when is he going to stop that?

"Be gentle." Archer winks as he slams his locker shut and disappears around the corner.

Rucci makes his approach.

"Hey," he mumbles. Gingerly approaching my locker, backpack slung over one arm.

"Hi." He's more awkward than normal today.

"Do you... Do you need a ride home after rehearsal today?"

"No, thanks. I'm going to Penny's. We've got a group project to finish."

"Cool."

I sling my backpack over my shoulder, slam my locker, twist the lock, jiggle the handle. Cool.

"I was wondering..." We start walking down the Arts corridor, towards the Science wing. "Well, I want to ask you something, really?" He checks for permission. "You know how I feel about going to the Semi with a friend, right?"

"I do." Yes, you've made that quite clear to me, and to half the girls in your class. "You don't want to go with just a friend." Got it. Loud. And. Clear.

Riiiiight... our walking has slowed to a glacial pace.

"Well, do you think, maybe, you might possibly consider going?"

"Are you taking a poll?" I'm a little confused here.

"C'mon Sam. You know what I'm saying."

Um, no I really don't. We've just reestablished the ground rules and I don't know where this is going. "Are you saying with you?"

The look on his face says it all, and even though I have no idea what's going on here, he's offended. "Yes, with me."

"Yes. Yes, I might, maybe possibly consider going with you."

Point taken. "Sam, will you be my date to the Semi-Formal?"

"Will I be your date?" We lock eyes. What are we implying here? Never dropping my gaze, he nods.

"Yes, I will be your date."

Satisfied with my answer, he's walking a little taller, a little zippier in his step. I might get lynched by the freshmen girls, but I'm pretty excited too.

"Hey, Mike." He stops short to look back at me, I realize it too; It's the first time I've called him by his first name, to his face anyways. "We'll have fun."