May***Part 4

"Sam, Jake's on the phone. Do you want to take it?" Mom yelling from the kitchen.

"Yeah I'll grab it in here." I leap on the bed, grabbing my see-through phone, "Hey"

Click. My mother hanging up. That's a first. Usually she tries to listen in as long as she can. Like we can't hear her breathing.

"I thought you said you never had feelings for Rucci?" Gulp.

"What?" Is this what they were so chatty about today?

"Do you have feelings for Rucci?" There is an urgency in his voice I haven't heard before.

"No. Jake, I told you. You aren't competing with anyone. I only have feelings for you."

Silence.

"Jake, say something."

Silence. Thick, dense silence.

"He told me you wrote him a letter." My heart sinks. "And that he confessed his feelings for you at Carnival Ball," he continues as I'm slowly dying inside. "He told me kissed you." This time I am silent — because death is silent. "Tell me the truth Sam. Did you kiss him?"

"No. Yes." Pause, get your head straight. One million emotions, comments, expressions, lyrics all running through my head simultaneously. "No, I don't have feelings for him. Yes, he kissed me. But it doesn't matter, because I only want to be kissing you."

Gulp. Well, that's out there now.

"Really? Sure sounds to me like you and Rucci have some unresolved business. That was some letter." Oh. My. God. He knows about the letter. "Sam, I read the letter."

What the hell, Rucci? Showing the letter to Jake, seriously?

"Jake... that letter. I wrote it months ago, after he dropped me like a bad habit for the Semi. I was really hurt. And really angry. And yes, I thought I had feelings for him. I had feelings for him. I wanted him to know. I needed him to hurt like I was. We haven't really even spoken since and that was all before we got together. I can't help if he's struggling with his feelings now."

Oh my god, there is so much I want to say to him. Every time I think about him I get this weird tingle all over my body.

"Jake, you caught me off guard. I didn't see you coming. But where you are concerned, I'm in trouble. In the best possible way. You have nothing to worry about."

Man, I hope that works, cause, I'm freaking out over here. You have no idea how incredibly strong the feelings I have for you are.

"I better not."

"Trust me. It's only you."

***