May***Part 9

"Dude, I can't believe your mom bought it?" Penny, topping off a red solo cup full of beer and handing it to me, before working on number two.

"Hey I told her straight up, kids were going to be drinking at Springfest. Not us of course." Duh! Like that would never happen! We both snort while trying to stifle a laugh. "And we need to stay at your house, so we can just walk home. I mean, walking is so much safer than getting into someone's car."

We both run a finger over the t-zone and into our cups. Add a little nose grease for the head.

"Strategy has never been your problem, Sam. Cheers!"

We were making our way across the field towards the bonfire and the stage. "What time do they go on?" Penny asks. Jake's band, Turd Rocket, was playing a set, sometime tonight.

"Not sure, he said they were the third band. What number is this?"

I wonder, "How does James even know all these people?" Looking around, I can tell it's way more people than just Stoneham High.

"They must be his lacrosse friends. I've never seen half these people before," Penny agrees, raising her glass for a toast with an inebriated stranger.

"Or this many fleece vests. Must have been a really good sale at American Eagle."

"There's my girl." Jake. Always sneaking up on me from behind. Kissing my neck... and stealing my beer. "Hey Pen." Finishing it in one long sip.

"Jerk!" I punch him in the shoulder. "You best be walking over there to get me a new one."

He laughs, "Can't, we're on next! Make sure you are up front." And he scampers off.

***

"Have fun at the front, the cool kids will be back here," Penny calls after me, as she walks towards Tony and the gang, posted up on the fence at the edge of the yard.

My evil eye isn't strong enough right now.

They all think they are so funny. Mocking me, reaching out for me. They know I don't want to be up front with the harem any more than they want the harem back with them. It's not like I don't want to see Jake play. I'm actually really excited. I just don't want to stand up there... with the biddies.

And, they are ALL up there. Fawning over every band playing. It's insane.

"Don't worry, if you are gone too long we'll... just get another beer."

"Funny, Tony." Jerks.

I pushed may way through the crowd, close enough to the front that Jake would be able to see me. The band before The Turd Rockets is taking its final bow.

"Hey Sammy, excited to see your man play?" Melanie. Drunk and half-naked. Biddie.

I don't think that's a shirt, sweetie.

"You know it!" Double guns, right back at you!

"It's a good thing you are up front to mark your territory." She's already starting to slur her words and it's only 9:15. "Cause those girls," pointing wildly and vaguely in the general direction of where the A-Team has camped out, "those girls wanna steal your man bad."

Right. And you don't?

"Thanks for the tip, Mel." She starts doing what I assume is her "pee-pee dance." I reach over, steal her beer and point, "Bathroom's that way."

"Ohmigosh, you... ARE... like... SOOO smart. I'm gonna go."

I nod. Yeah, you should do that. "Go for it." And, under my breath, "Cheers, thanks for the beer."

James takes the stage. "Hey everyone, thank you for coming. Please help me in welcoming to the stage, Turd Rocket."

Turd Rocket is pretty good tonight. Much better than at Carnival Ball.

I see Jake find me in the crowd, he shoots me a wink. And immediately I'm drowning under the wave of nasty looks from the front row.

Take it all in Sam, you are the envy of every girl. Doesn't it feel great.

"Penny for your thoughts?" Preppy guy in a Members Only jacket, just like my dad's, pops up next to me. "I'm Seth."

"Sammy." Who is this guy?

"What are you doing all by your lonesome? Where are your friends?" Definitely not from Stoneham.

"Well, you see the big guy with the hair onstage?" He nods. "That's my boyfriend."

Perfectly timed, over the mic we hear, "This song goes out to my special someone out there." I wink back at Jake. "She knows who she is."

"I see. Well, it was good to meet you, Sammy." And he is outta here, like a bat outta hell.

Turd Rocket really sounds a lot better tonight. I spot Oli and Luke across the lawn. We hoist cups and 'cheers' above the crowd.

***

Dear Jesse —

Springfest last night was almost perfect. Almost. Until it wasn't.

After Turd Rocket performed, we hung out for a while, but just as the final band went on the cops busted the field. Everyone scrambled.

Jake, Penny and I walked back to their houses. As we approached the bottom of the hill, Penny made a break for it. "Night, Jake. I'm just gonna go set up your bed, Sam. Use the back door, I'll leave it unlocked."

And that's where the perfect ended. I should have just followed her.

I can't re-live it again tonight. Must get sleep.

Xo
Sammy

***

Springfest: The unofficial kick-off to grad week. Annual music drunk fest, held in James Andrew's (no relation) backyard every year when his parents go out of town.