February***Part 4

"Hey, Archer," I call across the courtyard.

I made a decision while we were in Florida. I'm taking Archer to the Junior Prom.

"Hey."

Oh, shit, now I'm really nervous. Why am I nervous. It's Archer for cryin' out loud. We practically share a locker.

"Question for you..." Oh dear, I didn't think this through, what if he says 'No'? "I was wondering, maybe..." Breathe "Maybe, if you aren't already going with someone else, would you be interested in going to the Junior Prom?"

If I close my eyes, he can't see me. Breathe. It's Archer.

"With you?"

Swallow. "Haha, yeah. With me. Arch, would you go to the Junior Prom with me?"

Oh god, now I'm going to throw up.

"Yes, Sammy. I'd love to go to the Junior Prom with you." Oh, thank god. "But..." Oh fuck, no, here it comes, "I might be going to visit Northwestern that weekend. Can I talk to my parents and let you know tomorrow?"

Ok. Okay. That's NOT a "no." Exactly.

"Yeah, totally?!?"

"Great, I'll let you know tomorrow."

I nod, cool-like, probably not real cool. As long as it vaguely resembles cool-ness, I can live.

"Oh, and Sam?"

"Yeah?"

"No matter what, I'm really flattered that you would ask. I'd be honored to go with you."

Everyone needs an Archer in their life.

Now, I just have to hold my breath until tomorrow.

***

Dear Jesse

Archer's not going to Illinois until the weekend after the Junior Prom! Yes!

Prom date acquired! Drama-free prom date acquired! This is going to be awesome.

Time to find a dress! I can't — I absolutely refuse to — wear the dress I bought for the Semi. It's cursed.

We are going to have the best time. Archeroni - the San Francisco treat (always hearing jingles) sure can dance!!!

Illinois? Illinoi? Ill Noise. Much better.

Xo
Sammy

***

Shiv and I are on our way to Carnival Ball to support her neighbor, Ellie, who's on the Royal Court. Well, to support Ellie, and to stare at Joe O'Reilly. And like we have anywhere else to be on a Friday night in this town.

And surprise, Rucci's coming with us.

Noelle convinced Rucci to be in the Freshman Class Act. And of course, Shiv couldn't say no to giving him a ride. Somehow she's convinced me to be the bigger person. I'm a glutton for punishment.

At least he'll be backstage most of the first act.

The only empty seats left are on the outside aisles. "Damnit all the good seats are taken." Shiv, being the only one among us not typically on stage, naturally had a preferred section in the theater.

She shoots a huffy snarl in my direction, "Don't look at me; I was ready on time."

Hand to god, I was actually on time tonight. We both glared over at Rucci.

"Look there are some aisle seats over there by the A-Team." I point. She's not getting it. I physically position her to face the seats. "Over by the A-Team."

***

Carnival Ball: A Stoneham High School tradition. It's basically a variety show with at the added stress... errrr fun... of selecting king, a queen and a royal court from the Senior Class. It's a fancy name for a popularity contest. Somehow the administration that passionately believes selecting a Prom King and Queen is "politically incorrect," but this pageant of popularity is totally fine. It's tradition!