February***Part 2

Dear Jesse

The Semi is tonight. Rucci went with Noelle. Got his wish. That's what he wanted all along.

Shiv went with the A-Team to meet up with everyone after the dance. I don't particularly want see anyone, so I'm hanging out with my friends Ben & Jerry. They never let me down.

Okay, fine. I'm having a pity party. Table for one.

Rucci still won't talk to me. Barely even looks at me. We manage to find the words to get through rehearsals, but that's about it. Shiv said he's miserable. I don't know why. He got exactly what he wanted.

Can't be too miserable though. He doesn't have time, he's been so busy hanging out with the A-Team. He was so broken after the attack, they just swooped in. And now, he's totally drinking the Kool-Aid.

Serves him right.

Xo
Sammy

***

"Thanks for taking me, I've got the last bag." Mom and I went to Burger King (for chicken nuggets), McDonald's (for fries) and then Stop & Shop AND Shaws (for Now & Laters).

She wasn't real happy when Shaws didn't have enough. Thank you presents for the crew. I don't do flowers.

"Honey Bunny," Dad calls from the living room, "You got a couple messages."

"Thanks, Dad. I'll be right in." He meets me at the door with two sticky notes.

"Oh, and I think Patrick answered the phone once too, you might want to check with him

"Oh, and I think Patrick answered the phone once too, you might want to check with him. Though I'm not sure what kind of message you'll get."

I followed the scent of pre-pubescent boy down the hall. "Knock knock." I push the door open, creating a mountain of dirty laundry behind the door, "Dad said you answered some calls. Were they for me?"

"Oh yeah, that Shannon girl kept calling. I think she was with Jake Matthews." Never tearing his eyes away from the television. Never breaking stride, pounding that Power Pad, setting a new record in the Nintendo Super Team Games.

"Really?" He nods, eyes glued to the screen. Shannon and Jake, that's weird.

"Sam, get out. You are gonna make me mess up my personal record."

So serious. It's a video game, dude.

I called Shannon back since I didn't have Jake's phone number. They wanted me to go out with them and some of the senior girls. Mom was having none of it. Dramafest finals are tomorrow and we have to meet the bus at 6 a.m.

Jake said if I couldn't come out, they'd swing by instead.

***

Dear Jesse —

Jake Matthews just "came by." He was with Shannon, and they'd called while I was out with Mom. But they actually came by.

He brought me a "break a leg" card, since he can't make it to Dramafest tomorrow. The State basketball tourney is at the same time. Very thoughtful. Very strange.

Mom only let them stay like five minutes. I assume they were just making the rounds.

Must get my beauty rest. Claire can't have bags under her eyes.

Xo
Sammy (perplexed)

***

We all hold hands, cast and crew, as they read the results. Rucci has no choice but to hold my hand. He needs to just suck it up, it's not like it's going to burn his skin.

"All-Star performance awards go to... from Stoneham High School... Mister Anthony DiStefano," the speaker system crackle as though our excitement is contagious, "and Miss Penelope Clark..." I give her hand a squeeze, so happy for her.

Oh my god we got two All Star Awards!

"and the next All-Star award, from...also, from Stoneham High School, Mr. Michael Rucci." Woooooo!

It's unheard of to get three All-Star Performance awards. Holy crap!

Rucci! Fuck, man. His head isn't gonna fit through the door. I mean he's great in this role... and paired up with Penny, brilliant. But for fuck sake... he's a freshman. He's got plenty of time for winning.

Now I'm just being petty. Good for him.

Okay... and the cast announcements.

"In third place for outstanding cast, Westminster Academy." Applause. They were really good. "In second place, for outstanding cast, Stoneham High School." Oh my god, we didn't win. We got three All-Star Awards and we didn't win. Well, that sucked the wind out of our sails.

"In first place, taking home trophy and a $10,000 cash donation to their Arts Department, Wakefield High School." Our arch rivals, the next town over. Shit! They were really good.

***

Dear Jesse —

Spring Break. A whole week without Rucci. Or the A-Team.

Just me, Shiv and Oli. River Country, Magic Kingdom, Epcot... here we come! All the rides!

And, let's not forget... Tuesday we meet up with Penny and the Dance Studio of Wakefield crew, after they perform in the parade, for Planet Hollywood and the rest of Disney's Pleasure Island!

This week is going to be amazing! I can't wait for our flight tomorrow.

Xo
Sammy

***