June***Part 6

Jake's dying to open his graduation present, but I won't let him do it in front of everyone. I'm too embarrassed. Well, not embarrassed exactly, it's pretty awesome, if I do say so myself, but I don't want everyone else to see it. It's personal.

My parents have seen it because I've been working on it at the house. But other than them, I haven't shown it to anyone. Shiv would laugh and think it's ridiculous.

"Please can I open it now?" I wave my finger. Nope. Not gonna happen buddy. "We can go in my room, no one else needs to see." Still no, this time biting my lip. Putty in my hands.

"Well, then I'm going to have to kiss you in front of all these people." Ok, if you must. "You know I can't resist you when you bite your lip."

Oh, did I do that? Check yourself, Urkel. I've got moves too.

***

"Not too late tonight, okay, Sam? I'm really tired after chaperoning last night, and you know I can't sleep when you aren't home."

"Yes, Mom. I know." My parents came with me to Jake's party, but now they are taking off — they have another graduation party to go to. So popular, my parents! And I'm planning to stay at Jake's and help clean up.

As we are hugging goodbye, and Jake is thanking my dad for coming, Scooter drives up in a brand new, red convertible. Apparently it's some kind of expensive car, all the boys ran over cooing about how amazing it is.

Red car. Convertible. That's all the girls need to know. We don't care about your horses.

Off-handedly, I look at my parents and said, "You know you don't have to get me anything that fancy, I'd be thrilled with a nice safe, sensible Volvo."

They laughed at me. It was worth a try.

***

Collapsing onto a stool, which had somehow found its way into the middle of the living room, Jake exclaims, "Finally, we're alone. I didn't think they were ever going to leave."

"Oh, poor baby, it's so tough that all your friends and family came over to celebrate your accomplishment." He's pouting. If biting my lip is his kryptonite, that pout is mine. I cannot resist. "And bringing you cards filled with cash and checks." I strut over to the stool, and nestle between his legs, wrapping my arms around his broad shoulders. "It's so difficult to be Jake. Poor, poor baby."

This boy can kiss.

"You know what's going to be even rougher?" Barely able to break apart long enough to get the words out, I lean down behind him, his lips trail down my back. As I sit up, I'm holding the blue package, with the white and silver ribbon, that I'd hidden behind the stereo. "You still have one more present to open. Do you think you are going to be able to do it?"

Now I've got his attention.

"Maybe you'd better wait til tomorrow, when you've got your energy back." He grabs for the package and misses. Not so fast mister. I lean in and steal a kiss. He reaches for it again, this time missing by a hair. This game is fun. This time he goes for the tickle, I can't. He's got it.

"Now?" He dangles it in my face, just making sure it's ok. I smile.

Such a ham. He delicately pulls open the ribbons one at a time, then gingerly pops open each corner. Oh my god, he is really dragging this out. Sliding the frame out of the package. Gingerly unfolding the tissue paper... and he stops in his tracks. He's just staring at it.

When he finally looks back up at me, I see that he has tears in his eyes. I'd spent the better part of the last month, sketching a picture of him from my favorite photo. Tony took it for the "Grease" Cast Wall and I stole it on closing night. In the picture, he's leaning in the doorway, casually resting one hand behind his head, that glorious hair tucked behind his ears, those sad eyes focused somewhere far, far away.

I love that picture. In that picture, I see a million words. Words unsaid. Fears never expressed. That photo breaks my heart, and rebuilds it again every time. I love it.

"Sam..."

"Turn it over." I smile; on the back I've written, "To Jake, From the bottom of my cold, dead heart — I love you. Samantha xo."

He runs his fingers over the words, as if to verify permanence, then looks at me with raised eyebrows.

I nod. It's true. I do love him.

"You love me?" I reach up, tuck his hair behind his right ear, and lean in. Then just before I kiss him, I whispered, "Yes, Jake. Turns out the Tin Girlfriend has a Heart. I love you."

***

Author's Note:  Sammy bit the bullet - she told Jake how she really feels.   Are they through their struggles?